Alpha CB24 - Hot & Cold -= Run out of ideas ? now =-

It gets worse
have also noticed that when i set the water temp to anywhere under 6 on the dial it cuts out still !

anything over 6 and it doesnt cut out. When set to 5.5 it last for 40secs, when set to 1 it lats 8 sec....

Do you think it could be new boiler time?

Sponsored Links
I have unplugged the hot water thermistor and plugged it into one that is off the boiler, it now does not cut out.

The water is too hot and i cant turn down the temp as when the dial is turned down lower then the boiler still cuts out (which alpha said is normal? and we should leave it on 9 always?)

My question is, could the gas side of the boiler be adjusted so that the water doesnt get as hot? (thus the boiler wont cut out)

Also i read another post where the max gas was set too high and it was causing overheating. Could this be our problem maybe?

maybe i should start a new post with this question.

The only way that we can have a shower is by mixing as much cold water as we can before it starts to cut out (the exact point!), the shower is still too hot so we have to open the hot tap in the sink to reduce the flow of the hot to the shower!

someone else also had:
"It burned out due to the gas regulator having incorrect pressure settings and therfore not modulating properly and always burning at max rate hence the cutting out."

We have just had it serviced, are these the type of things they should check?

PLEASE HELP !!

Dont start a new post!

A boiler is a device which operates with electricity, gas and water.

To work properly the supplies must be correct AND the boiler has to be set up correctly.

Sadly, many engineers who try to fix boiler either dont know or dont bother to check the gas settings.

To ensure it is going to work properly a competent gas engineer who will check and set the operating perameters. Thats not a DIY job!

Tony

Thankyou Tony,

The thing is we have had 7 engineers out from Domestic and General, NONE had any idea that it was the faulty shower mixer (that Paul suggested on here) They keep coming out and havent got a clue.

Does the above sound at least plausable ?

Then i can point no.8 engineer to maybe check:

"Max gas rate needs checking and adjusting as required"
or
"......the gas regulator has incorrect pressure settings and therfore not modulating properly and always burning at max rate hence the cutting out."

Sponsored Links
Thankyou Tony,

The thing is we have had 7 engineers out from Domestic and General, NONE had any idea that it was the faulty shower mixer (that Paul suggested on here) They keep coming out and havent got a clue.

Does the above sound at least plausable ?

Unfortunately, they cannot afford to pay their people very much so only get that low calibre of staff. We hear this kind of thing all the time.

You should not have to tell them what to do. They will not like it ! Most of them must know they are not very clever otherwise they would be working for a better firm!

For safety reasons I cannot advise you on gas matters that they should be checking. If their registered engineer were to call me and not be abusive then I might give him some guidance but I dont usually see them as very interested in improving their skills.

Tony

I wouldnt ever touch anything gas !!!

I will give d&g 1 more chance and then i will find a local engineer or pay for an alpha engineer. I will then try and claim the money back from d&g

Thanks

Im guessing that the above "Could" cause my problems as you would have said they wouldnt if not ;)

No, I would not have, as I am very strict in not giving any clues which might encourage anyone towards DIY gas work.

Each post is read by about 20-100 people just for information on how to do jobs on boilers. I think about them when I dont say much.

Tony

AT LAST !!!!!!

Gas engineer 9 came out, and finally sorted the boiler !!!

I said to him that I had been suggested:
Max/Min Gas Settings and incorrect modulation.

After another 5 minutes of the usual, "You need a power flush, and the new heat exchanger has become blocked again", finally he checked the gas flow !

He pulled the wire from the modulator expecting it to drop to min flow, but the flame stayed at max, when he measured it it was at 12.8 min. Apparently the min should be 2.5min

After adjusting it to 2.5 everything is perfect, no cutting out of the water and we can finally have a shower that doesnt burn us!!!

DO NOT EVER USE:
bcd heating - 01782 654 950

How can they miss this?. When I questioned them about this the boss said:
a) Its on the job sheet and was checked.
a) The modulation adjuster can come lose and move if they dont have the cap on.
c) it my own fault for not putting my hand in my pocket in the first place (not sure what he meant by this)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP !!!!!

To ensure it is going to work properly a competent gas engineer who will check and set the operating perameters. Thats not a DIY job!

Tony

Thats what I was expecting but I cannot state the details on an open forum as it encourages DIY gas work.

There is another thread where somebody claimed he had a gas registered nephew so some of the nupties on here piled in with gas work advice and of course his nephew has disappeared from the equation and he is trying all the suggestions himself.

Tony

That is an absolute embarrassment not finding that fault earlier. Even the most inexperienced of engineers would know to check the Min/Max Pressures. Shocking

You would think that, but there is a well respected installer round here with about 15 years experience and I offered to explain by telephone how to set up the min/max on a Worcester boiler but he just decided it was beyond him and passed the job on to me!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back