Alpha CB24 PCB gone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've had a quick browse of all the other Alpha and CB24 posts I can find and this seems to be something that would probably go faulty - the PCB - As I'm not actually going near the gas part of the boiler, is this something that I could purchase and fit myself? I build PC's for a hobby and know a bit about basic electronics so I feel confident enough that I could, but has anyone else done this, how easy is it or should I just get a plumber back in to fit it??? (I've already paid £92 for someone to diagnose it so far :oops: and he's tested all components and finally came up with the PCB being faulty)

Also, the plumber did mention that he would need to fit the PCB as it needed to be "programmed", is this correct?

Thanks all in advance :D

Ben

Sponsored Links
You can't just swap the board, definately a corgi job as it requires several procedures to be carried out involving the gas valve.

Note the manual doesn't explain this but the instruction sheet with the board does.

For £92 you should expect diagnosis of the faulty board and fitment of a new one (plus board cost).

Gasguru said:
You can't just swap the board, definately a corgi job as it requires several procedures to be carried out involving the gas valve.

Note the manual doesn't explain this but the instruction sheet with the board.

For £92 you should expect diagnosis of the faulty board and fitment of a new one (plus board cost).

Agreed with first point mate, but surely it is unfair to say how much work should be expected for the price charged - we all charge what we want to and the punters know what is is gonna cost before we start (usually) or are given a rough estimate or hrly rate.

Sponsored Links
being a saturday call out, i thought £92 was fairly ok as i was expecting at least £100.

Thanks for the info that it needs a corgi guy to fit it, saves me having to worry about it and trying to find the part. I did find it online, does £134 sound about right for an alpha pcb?

And before anyone else flames about the alpha boiler, i didn't choose it, the plumber fitted it when i moved in a couple of years back, but if i'd known there would be issues then i would have requested a different brand. Although most brands all have their quirks anyway...

thanks all again for the quick replies :D

Well T-N perhaps you should tell us how much you charge?

You are right of course that its up to each person or company to set its own charges which should always be explained to the customer BEFORE the visit.

Since we would charge a fixed price diagnostic fee of £84 then I tend to agree that £92 should include fitting the new part as our fee does.

More relevant though is the price charged for the part!!! We charge a maximum of the list price but usually only what we are charged by HRPC plus sometimes £15 towards getting it if we are not going there anyway or the customer want it quickly.

Today I saw a Puma which had been fixed by a "Potterton" engineer who had charged the full price and fitted an "Adlink repaired" pcb which he had further repaired himself.

Tony

I and the few other gas engineers with a conscience will charge a fair price, that way the customer doesn't think there being ripped off and I get the benefit of repeat business from them - take a long term view.

Personally I put no mark up on parts as I have several merchants within a few miles of me (SE London) and don't need to carry much stock - this also creates trust from customers.

If an engineer overcharges for spares it all too easy for customers to check up on the web. By all means add a small markup for van stock.

Occasionally I also show the customer the parts invoice, especially where the part price is extortionate - they can see its manufactures who are making the big money (eg. Sime thermocouple £85.00 - non standard, Apollo heat exchanger £300)

If you look at the partscenter.co.uk site you'll find
Selected Product: 449842
Description ALPHA 1.0171118 PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD
Retail Price
(Excluding VAT and quantity discounts) £246.18
Which is a mere £289.26 inc vat ! I know some repairers do charge the full rrp.

If you buy one and it doesn't work you'll still have to pay for board and fitting.
If someone fits a board he has to have a profit on the board - he had to stock it, or spend time getting it for you, then there's always a possiblity that he'll damage it so might build in a %age to all prices for that.

Unless you're in eg central London that's a heavy price for just a call out. Find out what the cost of board + fitting would be from him.

I carry that pcb, which avoids the problem, and I'd be asking questions of anyone who doesn't. That pcb does "go", but I hope you don't tell us you had CH but not HW! If someone doesn't carry it then there's an issue of whether they charge time to go and get it, and it might not be in stock locally. Also, "cheap" looking internet suppliers often don't have things in stock, and you have to wait for delivery which can be 2-3 days assuming there's someone available to collect the parcel...

Now you have a diagnosis(?) you could go to BG for their flat rate single item repair if you can wait for them. Their flat rate is more than most repairs would cost you including parts, but if you trust the diagnosis, it now may prove your best option. Unless they find TWO things actually need replacing, which is quite common.

Agile said:
Well T-N perhaps you should tell us how much you charge?

You are right of course that its up to each person or company to set its own charges which should always be explained to the customer BEFORE the visit.

Since we would charge a fixed price diagnostic fee of £84 then I tend to agree that £92 should include fitting the new part as our fee does.

More relevant though is the price charged for the part!!! We charge a maximum of the list price but usually only what we are charged by HRPC plus sometimes £15 towards getting it if we are not going there anyway or the customer want it quickly.

Today I saw a Puma which had been fixed by a "Potterton" engineer who had charged the full price and fitted an "Adlink repaired" pcb which he had further repaired himself.

Tony

Sorry tony but i wont discuss pricing here. I dont work for myself anyway so i have no prices to discuss, i was just making a small point about companies being able to charge whatever they want to, thats all.

And i never will understand fitting refurbished/repaired parts to boilers - surely theyre just gonnae fail again in the short term. Or is that the whole idea - for a quick cheap fix as per the customer ?

so what is wrong with your boiler.
i have not come across a faulty pcb on the cb series,yet.lots of other probs yes.
cb is easy boiler to work on,plenty of room inside boiler.
so fix it your self but common sense rules apply.

I had a customer go through 2 boards in 18 months, after the original board gave up just after warranty expired. Same boiler also needed a flowswitch within 2 years. Alpha wouldn't except they had desighn faults on the boards.

Had another customer with a 240P, put 3 flow thermisters on after each one died after 6 months - again Alpha denied a batch problem.

Liquidozone you don't need to tell boiler engrs where to look for prices! As I said there is an rrp, and don't forget you pay vat. Obviously you will see lots of other prices, many of which aren't in stock, and you have to wait until they get one, or a batch, in, and run the risk that the price will have changed. Sometimes there are bargains its true.

If someone comes to your door with a part to mend your boiler which has cost him £X, he's asking £X plus a margin and you say you'll only pay £Y beause you saw one ad on the internet, expect to see his back. Also expect to take more time off work for a different guy.

Actual prices vary wildy - one reason why I carry stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back