Alpha CB24 not firing problem help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a CB24 that broke down with a solid Red light fault, we could reset it, it would go through it's firing sequence but never fire up then the solid Red light comes on A.
A local plumber took a look then ordered a new diverter valve, he fitted this but the problem remained, he then got a thermostat, (can't remember which one), then said it must be the gas valve. Before I went ahead again a friend's plumber came to check it and he confirmed it was the gas valve. I got a new valve (but from Ebay as now running out of cash) and our friends mate fitted it for free but it only worked for 5 mins before going off again. He is now away on holiday but left a message saying it must be the PCB!

So the question is, should I now go and source a PCB? the boiler is in good condition.
My worry is the gas valve I got might not be new, the plumber didn't saying anything to say it wasn't, I got it sent direct to him, so I never saw it myself.
I'm inclined to ditch the whole thing but having come this far, maybe it's worth it if this is the last part.
Appreciate any help & or advice.

Sponsored Links
well you never needed a diverter valve in the first place and a decent engineer would have been able to tell you very quickly if you indeed needed a thermistor ( what you call a thermostat) I never buy parts from ebay as you never know what you are getting, why not call alpha in the morning and ask them if they do a fixed price repair or could they recommend a repair agent for your post code , this is a very easy boiler to fault find on, you just seem to have picked the wrong people

Get a qualified and competent person to diagnose and repair the device.

My worry is the gas valve I got might not be new,

It might not even be a genuine article, you could have created an extremely dangerous situation.

So the question is, should I now go and source a PCB?
w

Fitting a new PCB without a qualified and competent person having first diagnosed the fault could be an expensive and non sucessful route.

Thanks for the quick replies, well the first guy did say he wasn't sure but the Diverter was common, he didn't think much of the boiler. We had him (at least I think it was him) 2 years back replace the hot water switch. All the parts were new from online dealers, he asked me to get them to save him time & me money, the gas valve was new with correct part no etc. but your right it's a risk from Ebay but it was going to the second plumber who's a really good guy I doubt he would have fitted it if it wasn't correct. He did spend a bit of time testing the electrics and gas previously. Both seem reputable plumbers and are qualified gas safe guys , it was my first question to them! I was simply asking if there were any Alpha experts here, he's quoted me £1500 for a new Valiant but I thought I'd ask here first in case someone had any better advice. I did call Alpha today but they want £255 , however they do guarantee it will work :) in hindsight I should have done that first.

Sponsored Links
you dont need a new boiler, the Alpha CB are a decent boiler and easily repaired by someone competent, without seeing the boiler I cant be certain but it doesnt sound like the PCB it is possibly that but there are a few cheaper components I would be testing first, cant understand why the first engineer thought that swapping the diverter valve would make any difference

CO8VQT6W8AAStb5.png

you dont need a new boiler, the Alpha CB are a decent boiler and easily repaired by someone competent, without seeing the boiler I cant be certain but it doesnt sound like the PCB it is possibly that but there are a few cheaper components I would be testing first, cant understand why the first engineer thought that swapping the diverter valve would make any difference

The part was leaking which was causing the pressure problems we kept getting.

It seems to me that you were trying to save money by not getting a proper repair done.

You should not have had to pay for parts which did not fix the boiler.

But instead you chose to pay for parts being changed by what we call "parts changers" who have no diagnostic skills. That makes it difficult to avoid paying for the parts which were not needed.

The parts changers always come up with excuses for not paying for the parts themselves.

Tony

The part was leaking which was causing the pressure problems we kept getting.
You forgot to mention that bit at any time, how do you expect to get any proper advice when you dont tell us everything ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back