Alpha CD50 ignitiopn problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening Gents,
Problem to the above, electrode and gap appear ok. Got voltage to spark generator though reading is 105v ac, book states 200v? genarator not making any clicking noise during sequence. How can I test the generator or is this more likely a pcb problem. Fault was intermittant until today.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
With an ignition problem obviously a competent CORGI will be required.

Why not call Alpha and ask for details of their local service agent?

You might just get it working before the holiday!

Tony

I'm no expert on Alphas, but if you only have half the voltage into the spark generator then it would seem that the problem lies in the PCB supply to it, or there is a high resistance connection somewhere eg: dirty relay or dry joint on the board.

I am an expert on Alphas and though the voltage doesn't sound right I don't recall what it should be or in anycase if it is a read herring.

The plastic generator makes no noise it isn't mechanical so sound is not a test of the generator.

The particular spark generator conscerned was a mass unreliable part for a brief period of Alpha history until they discovered that the orientation of the secondary leeds was extremely significant.

Now I don't work for them any more and have no access to the technical bulletins, and have a very flawed mind so just cannot remember with accuracy or picture the correct orientation. So I am not sufficient of an expert any longer.

For that reason I also suggest you get an actual Alpha service agent to call as he will have all relevant parts and correct knowledge of technical bulletins which independents are not privy to.

It is very important, wrong orientation, certain death once more sooner or later.

That pcb is normally bullet proof. The weak link is the spark gen.

Non of this is a diagnosis you realise just friendly advice. I can only diagnose a boiler I am stood in front of.

Sponsored Links
Rang Alpha tech and the guy wasn't that bothered about the incorrect voltage but suggested it was probably the generator. this turned out to be correct. As regards the orientation of the secondary leads, he said that the original one may be connected incorrectly and though this still worked it shortened the life of the generator. The new will only work if connected correctly and inclosed is a leaflet to that effect.
Thanks Paul and Simond. Tony, why waste your time when you've only got spiteful, patronising bile to post? This is a help forum after all, and if your standard response is 'get someone else in' then it all becomes pointless,

Trust me you've misread Tony I have had dinner with him he is non of those things.

The important thing to remember in the internet is never to form such value judgements about people with incomplete perspective knowledge experience of them their subject or yours.

Tony was on the mark and had absolutely no sense of malice towards you whatsoever.

Which way round do the wires go then? With the secondary connectors at top say, is it earth to the left electrode to the right?

Ok Paul I'll take your word regarding Tony. As regards the new generator, it's earth lead on the right (same side as black wire on plug from pcb). Existing was reversed. New one does alarmingly look a little flimsy.
Why did you leave Alpha? During the last 'within guarantee' visit I had from my local Alpha engineer he finished about 10.30 and said he had a further TEN calls that day. Maybe I've answered my own question.

They kept wanting me to travel 150 miles each way for one job.

It was wrong orientation that killed your generator expect no further problems in that department.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back