Alpha CombiMAx 350 - no HW...stumped!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Alph Combimax 350 has packed up producing no or very tepid hot water at the taps - phoned Alpha who gave us a number of local engineers. They came out and had a look at the system - he said he checked everything and boiler was working perfectly - the problem lay in our plumbing and possibly we have a blender valve fitted. We called our local plumber out and he is pretty sure there is no such valve fitted - abd the fault lies with the system. Phoned back the CH engineers they assure us he checked EVERYTHING and the bolier is good.

We're not sure where to go now - any ideas?

The boiler goes through its ignition and fires up. The CH works. The pressure gauge is reading at the right section. The problem started after having a dishwasher fitteed with a cold feed - coincidence? I have turned off this valve but it made no difference - the water at the tap is tepid - not freezing. The house is over 3 floors with two bathrooms.

Getting a bit desperate now.

Sponsored Links
Fitting the dishwasher has mixed hot and cold pipes together.

Common fault with poor quality people doing plumbing jobs!

Call him back and charge him for any expenses you have incurred as a result of his bad work.

A photo of all the dishwasher new pipework will probably enable us to see whats wrong.

One I went to had a "Y" piece connecting the hot and cold into one pipe going to the machine!

Tony

Thanks Tony - cant do photos at the moment though - the dishwasher feed has just been taken from the mains cold feed - he's just tapped into the mains cold feed - how could this mix the hot and cold together?

Thanks for any help.

Tony's just a beginner, he doesn't realise that dishwashers don't have hot connections... There are indeed " poor quality people doing plumbing jobs" :D :D ;)

You probably have a mixer somewhere letting cold and hot mix. Often a thermostatic shower one.

Turn off the CW input to the boiler at the isolation valve underneath, and try a hot tap. Does any water come out?
WIggle any thermostatic valve you have from max to min temp several times and try again.

Sponsored Links
Well....I owe you a big pint Chris - you are absolutlely bang on with that. Top shower cubicle has a brass one lever mixer control - although it was off and no water coming out of the shower head, wiggled it and tightened it off and lo and behold - HOT WATER immediately from all taps.

Absolutley made up.

So a big big thank you if ever you need help with MAzda Bongos, surfing or drama teaching - I'm your man!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back