Altering Bathroom Plumbing Layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have just moved into our "new" house and are thinking about changing the layout of our bathroom.

It is basically a rectangular shape. Door bottom right and airing cupboard bottom left. (If that isn't too hard to imagine !!)

Bath comes off of the side of the airing cupboard tight up to the back wall. Sink next to it and toliet next to that. So maybe now you can see why it is quite squashed!! Only 11cm from toilet pan to wall, so sitting on it at an angle.

What makes it complicated is that it is all internal pipework, via a boxed in section behind sink and toilet and down through a pillar. No pipes go out through a wall at all.

Wanted to move the sink onto the "spare" wall and re-locate the radiator, so that the toilet could move up a bit.

Plumber said no, it has to stay as it is.

Is this true or would it cost hundreds or thousands to move sink pipework onto other wall and move the soil pipe up a foot or so

Can people give some opinions. Can soil pipes just be extended and what do you think about everything else

Thanks

S

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

New Layout. Want toilet moved to the left by about 2 foot and sink on other wall where radiator currently is.

S

All internal pipework. None of it goes out the wall at all

Box can be seen behind toilet and sink.

Right angle from pan down to floor and presuambly then to the right and down a pillar in the bedroom on the right.

S

ok. toilet can then be moved 2ft

basin on other wall, extending hot/cold feed, 32mm waste.

all can be done easy the only thing is you'll have a box section on the basin wall where your pipes will be. same as behind toilet

That would be fine.

How would they move the toilet? Would it be a fixed pipe or would they have to use flexible, which I hear is liable to blockages??

Thanks for your help

Did the plumber say no in a "It'll cost you" kind of way because if he thinks it can't be done, I'd get someone else to look at it.

Anything's possible with a sufficient budget, however what you are suggesting doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility.

If your soil pipe does run in that boxing, there's no problem moving the WC. The basin may be a little more complicated as you need to get hot and cold feeds to it and a waste away from it.

The feeds could be run under the floor (assuming it's a first floor bathroom) and the waste exposed, or you could continue that boxing around to the where the basin will be located and hide the pipework in there.

So not at all impossible, just a little more work.

just use a new section of pipe,

the distance from your soil stack to centre of pan is about 21" just remove and replace a new section of about 35" at a quess

That shouldn't be a problem. If I understand the layout, the soil is going right as it exits the Pan.

He's going to have to do a bit more work with his pipework than a straight bathroom swap but I'd say from what I can see in your Pic that its do-able. Its going to cost more (because of the extra work) but that's your worry not his. Only one thing... where's the radiator going when the sink goes there?... Towel Rail? Make sure the BTUs are up to it. A lot of the Towel Rails (especially the ones sold by the sheds), have poor input. I've been to jobs where the customer has asked me to remove a Towel Rail and put in a Radiator. I have often argued that I can get them a decent Towel Rail with decent BTUs but they just say no, they want the Radiator back :confused:

He was seeming to say it was impossible !!

When you say a little more work, are we meaning a couple of hundred more or doubling the price.

Thanks

S

if your plumber said he can't do it get somebody who can for what work needs doing on the plumbing side is nothing. i class that as a bonus fill in job. start monday morning, be well ready for tiling by wednesday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back