Altering Lead Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Since we bought our house the lead work where it joins the guttering on our extension has always been as below,

hiwy86y.jpg

it does the job as all water goes into the gutter but is ugly,

5QM9nxu.jpg

can anyone see any issues if I cut the lead along the black line marked above, the lead should still direct rainfall into the guttering it just won't be visible above the gutter from ground level.

thanks
chris

Sponsored Links
That lead needs replacing. Look at the holes in it.

The holes are where it has been previously nailed to the cladding which has just been replaced, I'll be filling them with lead sealant and sealing the lead to the cladding with once I've finished with it

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Since we bought our house the lead work where it joins the guttering on our extension has always been as below,

hiwy86y.jpg

5QM9nxu.jpg

can anyone see any issues if I cut the lead along the black line marked above, the lead should still direct rainfall into the guttering it just won't be visible above the gutter from ground level.

thanks
chris
No issues

Dont cut that cover lead anywhere - at the gutter its been manipulated into a rough kick-out thats saving you from overshooting rainwater.
Slip a large lead soaker under the area with the holes. Go high and wide and droop the bottom edge into the gutter.
Attempt to get the top edge of the cover flashing & the soaker up behind the siding.

I've not done anything with it yet but given the rest of the roof has the same fall why would water running down the leading end be more likely to overshoot the gutter than at any other point of the roof? Currently there has never been any issue with water overshooting at any point of the gutter in the last 5 years.

Thanks
Chris

For 5yrs it may have been silently working protecting that corner - why change it?
Because there's a gable discharging down to below at the abutment - rainwater coming down gables etc is partly why soakers, and cover flashing over profiled tiles are used at all similar abutments.
Your roof abutment is protected to some degree - the roof is relatively short & has an extended soffit.

My firm do lots of remedial roof work, and for the last few years have always installed custom kick-outs - just in case .
No call backs.

Hi All,

hiwy86y.jpg

5QM9nxu.jpg

thanks
chris
No issues
Cutting that small piece of lead off to tidy it up will do no harm

Cut it. While you are up there lift off the durgo and fit a weathering collar to the SVP

Why cut it - why disturb something thats worked for 5yrs?
Ever hear the old saying "dont touch it if it works"? You have now.
Besides proposing to "Cut it" - what else would you do while you were up there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back