Alternate to drilling to fit curtain rod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a flat that I'm renting and don't own any tools.

I'm getting a very large draft even though I have double glazing and an extra sliding glass door to block out noise.

I want to put some curtains up to stop the draft but want to avoid too much diy as modifying the flat too much would affect my desposit.

What can I use instead?

Would a tension rod be enough for medium weight curtains?

Sponsored Links
So where is the draught coming from?

From the window, when I'm sitting on the sofa the window is on my right, I feel it come from there.

It's also like that in the spare room, very drafty from the window in there. Almost sounds like the window is open

Sponsored Links
Better to fix the problem, not accommodate it.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's an option

We have had the contractors out for a lot of issue,

We've had the taps replaced, shower fitting, new oven, new lights, letter box fixed, plug sockets replaced, extractor fan replaced.

I can't keep getting them out.

Is there an easy way for me to fix this issue as I don't feel comfortable reporting this issue.

I've already once threatened to take legal action against them due to the time it's taking them to fix things.

You need to stand up for your rights, as a tenant you have many , you pay rent I presume? then you are entitled to a reasonable standard of living.

You need to stand up for your rights, as a tenant you have many , you pay rent I presume? then you are entitled to a reasonable standard of living.

Yes I agree, but it's come to the point where I feel like I'm pushing my luck.

I pay rent, full rent, never late, look after the flat very well. We have made improvements ourselves.

I've heard that landlords can just give up and get you evicted

I would agree with you on one hand, you pays yer rent, you gets yer service, I certainly would be kicking up a stink. I don't care how much hassle it causes the landlord, he doesn’t get his £500-1000 pounds a month for picking his nose.

On the other hand I don't know what 'rights' you are referring to, or any standards that say this is unacceptable.

The draft may also be relativly small, and simply exagerated by cold radiation from the window (which curtains would also reduce).

As to the original question, no, get a drill as there is not an easy alternative, you can get them for <£30 or under a tenner second hand.

I would agree with you on one hand, you pays yer rent, you gets yer service, I certainly would be kicking up a stink. I don't care how much hassle it causes the landlord, he doesn’t get his £500-1000 pounds a month for picking his nose.

On the other hand I don't know what 'rights' you are referring to, or any standards that say this is unacceptable.

The draft may also be relativly small, and simply exagerated by cold radiation from the window (which curtains would also reduce).

As to the original question, no, get a drill as there is not an easy alternative, you can get them for <£30 or under a tenner second hand.

If you walk into my spare room you would realise how bad it was. We have the heating on and we still have to have duvets on to keep warm.

This flat is only 6 years old. It has double glazing and then a second sliding window to block out the noise from the dual carriage way

Maybe some sealant is required around the frames. If so, you should be able to remedy that without anyone noticing.

Maybe some sealant is required around the frames. If so, you should be able to remedy that without anyone noticing.

I've found out that because it's an apartment complex that the property manager would need to fix it if it's an exterior issue, which would mean no qualms with my landlord - Score!

its probably just cool air running down from the window - happens to nearly all windows.

To answer your question, you can try an extendable rod (spring-loaded) with some fabric draped over it.

Most people call them curtains.

Why has your rented place not have curtains?

its probably just cool air running down from the window - happens to nearly all windows.

To answer your question, you can try an extendable rod (spring-loaded) with some fabric draped over it.

Most people call them curtains.

Why has your rented place not have curtains?

I have no idea haha. Any recomendations on what pole to get?

Somewhere like Wilkinsons or Dunelm Mill will probably sell a sprung tension rod. Be aware though that if this goes inside the window recess it will be less effective in stopping cold air entering the room.

Is the draft coming through the windows, or around the window frame.

If it is the windows, get the landlord to fix it, it will be his problem.

If it is around the frame, it may be an argument as to who's responsibility it is, but that is still something you don't get involved with, it's between the landlord and the management company.

Either way, shout at the landlord.

FYI, if it is around the window frame, this would suggest really poor fitting, and raises the question about lack of expanding foam or cavity closers around the window (which should be present).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back