Alternate to drilling to fit curtain rod

Is the draft coming through the windows, or around the window frame.

If it is the windows, get the landlord to fix it, it will be his problem.

If it is around the frame, it may be an argument as to who's responsibility it is, but that is still something you don't get involved with, it's between the landlord and the management company.

Either way, shout at the landlord.

FYI, if it is around the window frame, this would suggest really poor fitting, and raises the question about lack of expanding foam or cavity closers around the window (which should be present).

I think it's the window rather than the frame, I will get touch. At the moment it's only got a blind, I will take a photo to show you what I mean

Sponsored Links

This is what the window looks like. As you can see, the window is double glazed and then there is another window that slides across to block out the noise from the loud road.

Hmmmm.

I have crappy 1970s wood windows with no seals, and poorly fitted secondary glazing on a 2nd floor flat slightly up a hill (so more wind).
And I still can't feel any noticeable draft coming through the windows.

For a noticeable draft to come through double and secondary glazing, strange, almost suspicious.

Check the rubber seals on the double glazed windows are still intact and making full contact with the framing members when the window is shut.

check the seals in the secondary glazing are fully engaging when shut (mine don't have rubber seals but brush seals, and look identical to yours).

check under the window board and make sure there is no visible gap that air is blowing through.

Sponsored Links
Some people kick up a stink about very little. The landlord probably wants him out.

Some people kick up a stink about very little. The landlord probably wants him out.

Yes because huddling on the sofa with two duvets just to keep warm is complaining over nothing. Shut up if you have nothing useful to say you idiot.

Hmmmm.

I have crappy 1970s wood windows with no seals, and poorly fitted secondary glazing on a 2nd floor flat slightly up a hill (so more wind).

For a noticeable draft to come through double and secondary glazing, strange, almost suspicious.

Check the rubber seals on the double glazed windows are still intact and making full contact with the framing members when the window is shut.

check the seals in the secondary glazing are fully engaging when shut (mine don't have rubber seals but brush seals, and look identical to yours).

check under the window board and make sure there is no visible gap that air is blowing through.

I think it's the seals, the spare room is the worst. You can see your breath in there.

Try putting a few quid in the gas meter.

We don't have gas here. We have electricity , electric wall heaters. Not storage heaters before you ask. The heat goes as soon as they are off and its not big enough to heat that room up anyway. Seriously, stop with the idiotic remarks.

Hmmmm.

I think it's the seals, the spare room is the worst. You can see your breath in there.

You think it's the seals, have you checked?

As I said, I have no seals on my lower glazing spec wooden windows, are you sure the place just isnt poorly insulated and under-heated.

Windows will always be the coldest part of the wall, and convection around them will create the feeling of a small draft .

Hmmmm.

You think it's the seals, have you checked?

As I said, I have no seals on my lower glazing spec wooden windows, are you sure the place just isnt poorly insulated and under-heated.

Windows will always be the coldest part of the wall, and convection around them will create the feeling of a small draft .

Well if that is the case then curtains will be best. The spare room is as cold as outside but never mind.

Just to save you from freezing, you probably don't open the windows at the moment anyway......why not put some tape over the opening frame joins, just to see if things improve?
That green 'frog' tape can be left on for ages, and it doesn't leave glue behind, unlike the traditional masking tapes.
John :)

Just to save you from freezing, you probably don't open the windows at the moment anyway......why not put some tape over the opening frame joins, just to see if things improve?
That green 'frog' tape can be left on for ages, and it doesn't leave glue behind, unlike the traditional masking tapes.
John :)

I will give it a try thank you 😊 we invested into an oil rad which is helping quite a bit compared to the crappy heating in this flat.

best thing is if you don't want to upset the landlord, buy a cheap drill and stick some thick curtains up, that will reduce the draft. All you need is four screws and four wall plugs. 20 mins job. Let the LL know that you want to put up curtains on that window because of the draft. The LL shouldn't hold this against you but he might be more grateful that you are looking after the property.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back