Alternative for Cork Edging on Oak Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently laid a floating, glue jointed solid oak floor in our lounge / dining room. Expansion gaps were left around the edges and skirting boards raised to cover the gap. Only gaps that were left uncovered were in front of our chimney breast in the Dining Room and hearth in the lounge.

I originally filled these gaps with Cork Edging strips but our main issue is that we have house rabbits as pets and they love to pull up and eat the cork.

First bet would be to get rid of the bunnies but that's not an option ;) so is there another product to finish of the edging that will be more 'bunny proof?

Thanks in advance, Tom.

View media item 72817
View media item 72818

Sponsored Links
I'm sure one of the flooring pro's will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know you're not supposed to fill the expansion gaps with cork at all, just leave it open.

I think it was something to do with parquet floors that got muddled in with laminate installs.

As has been said, you should never fit cork stripping around the edge of any floating floor, be it Laminate, Engineered or Solid wood or click LVT. you have blocked up the expansion gap that the floor needs to stay stable.

Take all the strips up and fit scotia or quadrant over the gap, this will allow the floor to move in the way that it is designed too. Left as is, the floor will buckle.

Covering the expansion gap against exposed brick is never perfect, but we would tend to use a solid square edging strip, possibly with a run of sealant to stop dust etc collecting in the uneven gap along the brick face.

Essentially, by fitting the cork, you may as we'll have not bothered and butted everything against the skirting etc. out of interest, why, or who advised you to use cork strips?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back