Alternative to expensive swimming pool hoist/lift for disabled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need to purchase a hoist for my disabled daughter to access a swimming pool, commercially available hoists start off at £2500 for a simple manual lift, but I can purchase a crane lift for £124. DO you think this could be adapted (with the addedd provision of hoist splitter bar and sling) to be a good alternative?
Any suggestions appreciated.
upload_2020-8-11_15-14-38.png
upload_2020-8-11_15-14-19.png

Sponsored Links
Is it your own pool, I would think there are all sorts of rules & regulations about them being installed in a public pool. If it is yours then there seems little wrong with your plan if it swivels through 360 degrees.

If it is yours then there seems little wrong with your plan if it swivels through 360 degrees.

Apart that is from centre of gravity. Portable engine hoists, normal have feet which go under the weight of the engine load and wheels to allow them to be moved, under load. Is your idea to have a fixed one, able to be swung out over a pool?

A mate used an old hospital lift because it was cheaper than an engine lift when restoring a car.
I would use a properly designed lift if it was anybody's child, let alone my own

Most lifts are designed to go under a bed, and rely on the CoG to be within the spread of the feet. You need a boom style that is anchored to the poolside or has a massive counterweight?

Ebay is full of sub £500 lifts- but mainly "tuck under"

Sponsored Links
I've got an hoist in the garage that would provide a splitter bar for a swing at least it's a proper tuck under that needs a battery = it's destined for the tip but if it's any use to you . I'm in East Sussex near Eastbourne/

Not forgetting what it is made of.
The expensive one is stainless steel, the others will rust by the pool.

just a thought
narrowest part 2 "A" frames a beam wide enough to include a chair or other carrage over the whole pool but use the part away from the edge in the water for other activities like perhaps rope swing like a climbing frame
now i know it sounds mad but what a child needs is a fun place where it feels natural and fun for them and there freinds and detracts from there "differences " and gives fun rather than draw attention to it ??

A mate used an old hospital lift because it was cheaper than an engine lift when restoring a car.
I would use a properly designed lift if it was anybody's child, let alone my own

Most lifts are designed to go under a bed, and rely on the CoG to be within the spread of the feet. You need a boom style that is anchored to the poolside or has a massive counterweight?

Is it your own pool, I would think there are all sorts of rules & regulations about them being installed in a public pool. If it is yours then there seems little wrong with your plan if it swivels through 360 degrees.

Many thanks, its actually for an installation in Cyprus, in a Private residence so don't need to worry about regulations, but obviously do want it to be safe hence asking for tech support here.

Apart that is from centre of gravity. Portable engine hoists, normal have feet which go under the weight of the engine load and wheels to allow them to be moved, under load. Is your idea to have a fixed one, able to be swung out over a pool?

Can you see the 2 photos I included in my post? both are fixed to the ground, no tuck under feet at all.

Can you see the 2 photos I included in my post? both are fixed to the ground, no tuck under feet at all.

I've got an hoist in the garage that would provide a splitter bar for a swing at least it's a proper tuck under that needs a battery = it's destined for the tip but if it's any use to you . I'm in East Sussex near Eastbourne/

That would be great thanks very much, can you email me [email protected] so I can chat to you further and arrange pick up etc?

Not forgetting what it is made of.
The expensive one is stainless steel, the others will rust by the pool.

They are not all SS, many are just painted steel and this will be used in sunny Cyprus, and stored in garage during non swimming season

just a thought
narrowest part 2 "A" frames a beam wide enough to include a chair or other carrage over the whole pool but use the part away from the edge in the water for other activities like perhaps rope swing like a climbing frame
now i know it sounds mad but what a child needs is a fun place where it feels natural and fun for them and there freinds and detracts from there "differences " and gives fun rather than draw attention to it ??

Great ideas but she is 31 so not a child and the pool is 6m wide......

I can't see the traditional engine hoist idea working out tbh unless you're handy with a welder and have some engineering facilities to hand. A 'swivel lifting crane' might be a better option eg https://www.rockmachinery.co.uk/product/1000lb-swivel-lifting-crane-with-winch-3/

Have you also considered searching google for the following:

swivel lifting crane
Davits for tenders
Davits for outboards
Cargo booms
eg https://www.lifting-products.com/pr...88sqycnupp8lq4xlr2qbzbyvfpwbypexoc0waqavd_bwe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back