Alternative to Silencer Tubes ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ladies & Gents,

The cold water tank in our house is located in a cupboard of a child's bedroom. We suffer from the disruptive noise of the water refilling, including the annoying final few minutes of drips until the ball valve shuts off.

The valve is new so there is nothing I can change there.

My research clearly identifies a collapsible / flexible silencer tube being the problem cure ...... but that same search shows they are banned by the water authorities.

My question ..... is there any suitable alternative that took the place of the silencer tubes ...... or are they still available in a different format / design?
I really would like to avoid moving it up into the loft as the only option.

Grateful for your input

Al

Sponsored Links
problem is. its all governed by water regs. and that type of install requires a type ?? air gap. cant remember now from off hand . to stop back syphonage.

what brand of ball cock did you buy? Is it plastic or brass?

The Pegler Prestex is much quieter than cheap ones. Sometimes you can position it so the bridge tends to spray against the wall of the tank.

Alternatively, the Fluidmaster is very quiet. I used to use Torbecks which have a perforated flat plastic tube which is very quiet and does not permit backflow, but they have amalgamated with Torbeck now and might not be available any more.

it must be a part 2 ballvalve, torbecks etc aren't suitable for a roof tank

Sponsored Links
Hiya,
I just bought a straightforward - Part 2 Float Valve Brass ½" from the high street. It was a like for like replacement.

The really annoying bit is the dribble and drips at the end, obviously during the night it disrupts him and us (as we back on to his room) everytime someone uses the toilet.

Even if there isn't an attachable tube I wondered if there was some sort of flute that would prevent the noise of the drips being so loud.

Good insulation and you wouldn't hear it,

An alternative is to change your lifestyle, baths, showers and washing up earlier so the tank can recovered before bed, connect all toilets to the main

I used to use Torbecks which have a perforated flat plastic tube which is very quiet and does not permit backflow, but they have amalgamated with Torbeck (Fluidmaster, I think you mean) now and might not be available any more.
Opella products (Torbeck, Delchem) will still be available for the foreseeable future.

I took the advice above and was looking on Amazon for Torbeck-Opella products and came across (hopefully) the image below.

There seems to be a flexible tube of some sort attached to the inlet tap. This appears to my untrained eye to be the sort of thing i am seeking for my cold water system.

Is this the actual purpose of it and is it legal under water regs. I realise this particular product is for toilet cisterns but if I'm on the right track I will keep going re Cold Water tank.

I am grateful....

Good choice Alan, you are now the proud owner of a non compliant ballvalve. :LOL: or have they changed the water regs.

Joyously I'm not the owner ... Amazon.co.UK is. Haven't bought anything yet.

And in relation to Regs, that was one of the points namely, will it work and is it legal. I keep reading about rigid tubes, but this is flexible?

Al

as myself & DIA have already said that's not suitable for a roof tank

Cheers for the replies guys and I think I will have to go with with plan B namely 'live with it'.

It wasn't this valve I was considering (clearly not suitable) it was the particular flexible attachment tube and its usefulness / legality.

It was worth a shot ..... onwards.

Alan

Someone does/did a valve similar to the Torbeck but the top if the discharge tube was attached to an open ring, thereby providing an 'air gap', after a fashion, preventing back-syphonage.
Damned if I can remember who it is/was.

When I was a lad Pt 2 ballvalves came with rigid plastic discharge pipes which attached to the sparge pipe.

One solution, a bit Heath Robinson:
Rig up a catcher-pipe. A piece of waste pipe a few inches directly below where the valve discharges, with a gap between the bottom of it and the bottom of the tank. It will act as a silencer as long as the bottom of the pipe is submerged.
It will isolate the 'splash' from the echo chamber - the tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back