Alternatives to parapet wall??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've submitted planning permission for a second storey rear extension and the guttering must not overhang our neighbor's flat roof. The current plans are for a parapet wall, however the planners initial report has stated this will be a visual intrusion. I must admit I'm not a fan of parapet walls but I can't seem to find an alternative (searching google).

Is there any other way to keep the guttering on our side without a parapet wall?

I'm also assuming we would need to resubmit planning, or could we do a minor amendment to guttering as we are still waiting formal decision?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
google box gutter :idea: There are loads of pictures - don`t need a parapet ;)

Get the building designer/architect to draw you up an eaves detail whereby the rafters are cut short of the outer skin of bricks and cavity (i.e. flush with the outer face of the inner leaf of masonry) thus bringing the gutter right back so that it sits directly above the outer skin of masonry.

The outer skin of masonry can be weathered with a lead flashing.

Ugly as sin but deals with the rainwater overhang without trespass and without the need for a troublesome parapet.

Yep they're horrific but don't work if you have a pitch at the front and/or rear and want that fascia to line up with the main house.

Sponsored Links
Yep they're horrific but don't work if you have a pitch at the front and/or rear and want that fascia to line up with the main house.
Agree.

The sensible thing would be for that particular elevation to be brought in so that there is room for the correct soffit detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back