Alternatives to trim to edge/cap installed tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I recover from wallpapering, I need to address this:

20200702_230257.jpg
Instead of tiling the whole wall, my late mother finished at picture-rail level.
There are no more tiles available, and I can't find a similar or contrasting tile which doesn't look like a dog's breakfast.

I was looking at either a listello
Screenshot_2020-07-09-14-24-44.png
(Not sure about colour - probably bronze pattern)

Or, some kind of corner protector, which I can't find in a brown, cream or beige.
I did find this - an L-shaped sheet angle
Screenshot_2020-07-09-14-33-40.png
(probably too yellow though).

Has anyone found any successful alternatives please? Or, should I just go with the listello?

Sponsored Links
Possibly a daft idea. Can you remove tiles from another area of the bathroom with the intention of refitting at the top?

providing you have the required areas protected with tiles it may work but without seeing a picture of the full room it’s difficult to know.
I can see why you want to sort it, I am not sure the trims area going to bring much to the party

First paint the eposed bit of wall down to new tile line.
You can use deco strips of mosaic about 75mm wide as a deco finish.

Possibly a daft idea. Can you remove tiles from another area of the bathroom with the intention of refitting at the top?

providing you have the required areas protected with tiles it may work but without seeing a picture of the full room it’s difficult to know.
I can see why you want to sort it, I am not sure the trims area going to bring much to the party
It's a good idea, but sadly, there aren't enough.

It just looks amateur and unfinished and bothers me.

I called the local tile shop, and the bloke suggested popping to Huws Gray (builders' merchants) as he got similar trim from there.

I'll take some better pics tomorrow with a wider angled lens.

Sponsored Links
First paint the eposed bit of wall down to new tile line.
You can use deco strips of mosaic about 75mm wide as a deco finish.

I wallpapered it for painting yesterday. I think I'm painting it off-white this weekend - need to pick some paint up.

Mosaics I have
20200702_232936.jpg
However, I tried how this would look, but wasn't sure. Plus, it's higher than the window/picture rail.

Last edited:
Okay another thought. Can you put a mosaic section up the wall perhaps up from the middle of the bath?
Again you can carefully remove the tiles, then using mosaic tile backer sheets to create the feature. You can then use the tiles across the top of the room.

i appreciate it is dependant upon the tiles being removed un damaged but I can’t see another way that wouldn’t drive you nuts :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back