Aluminium door - new seals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a 1980s(?) hinged aluminium door between my lobby and lounge.

It is generally in good condition, double glazed, and painted. Not precisely 'lifestyle', but should do well.

BUT. The brush pile seals are old and worn, and someone has got paint on them so they aren't very useful. It has had various stick-on seals applied since...

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience obtaining/fitting new seals for the frame. Only places I can find anything that looks anything like the existing seal are ebay, or import from the USA.

Any comment or tip welcome...

Riccardo

Sponsored Links
Cut a small piece out with a sharp stanley knife, Measure the depth of the pile and the width of the backing.
Whenever I need a small amount I get it from ebay.
The fiddly bit is getting the new stuff in, Usually you can just force it in with a small flat headed screw driver but sometimes I have had to drill out the ribs in the corners so I could slide it in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Ebay nearly had what I wanted, only mine isn't self adhesive, and unfortunately mine is the 6.7mm backing version that isn't all that common.

In the end managed to get some from HD Hardware - minimum quantity was 10m, which isn't all that bad, bought 12 metres so I'll have enough for next time :)

Search engine keyword turned out to be 'woolpile'.

Of course, plenty of suppliers if you want 300 metres or more :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back