aluminium door wont lock (the handle wont go up) when the door is in closed position but works when door is open

s85

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front Aluminium door wont lock (ie the handle wont go up) when the door is closed. But it works perfectly fine when the door is open.

I thought the locking mechanism might be catching the inserts in the door frame so I tried adjusting them by moving them up and down but still have the same problem. I even removed them altogether to allow the locks complete freedom to go into the door frame but still the door handle wont go up when the door is closed. It appears as if its catching but there is nothing there to catch.

Like I mentioned before the whole lock handle and mechanism work perfectly fine when the door is open.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Seems obvious that something is catching when the door is closed.

I know but I have removed all the locks keeps!! and the black plastic fillers as well.

Sponsored Links
sounds like it needs hinge adjustment to me , its a classic symptom if the lock works fine when open and not when closed . it may well be that the deadlock is catching. Its obvious something is adrift and the only thing the could possible stop the lock from engaging fully when closed is its hitting somewhere it shouldnt.
Saying that ... it could be the door is warped at top or bottom ... that would also stop the lock engaging as its not sitting in th ekeep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back