Adjusting an aluminium door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The door is aluminium and has 3 locking points...the lock itself, and 2 shoot bolts (is that what they're called?) which go into the frame at the top and the bottom horizontals when the handle is lifted.
The problem is, these are no longer pulling the door in against the frame. They sit loosely in the keepers. The bolt at the lock catches on it's keeper when the key is turned.
Basically, the door needs an adjustment to allow the shoot bolts to pull it tighter to the frame. There is no allowance for moving the strike plates/ keepers. They are set in the aluminium frame.
It seems the only option it to adjust the mechanism in the door somehow.
We had a local firm come out a few years ago because the door needed to be slammed to get it to close.
Unfortunately, they are no longer about (probably due to the economic climate).
Can anyone suggest how we might remedy the problem?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
All i could say is that the monkey fur has flattened off enough for the door to rattle, assuming it is monkey fur and the frame then i believe the frame needs to be removed and split into 2 'L' shapes so you can slide out the old stuff and slide in new, to be honest this is a ball ache of a job so i would look at moving the keeps further back. I would say there is no eccentric movement on the shootbolts as normally they have nylon guide blocks set into the hollow aluminium sections, these obviously wouldnt let you move the shootbolts.

But if poss can you post up a picture here so i or others could advise better, this is my field but without seeing it its difficult.

Hmmm, no adjustment at all, so all you can do is change the rubbers (not monkey fur), if you can peel one out in the corner and take a pic of the end or cross section i'll hunt around on the web tonight

Sponsored Links
I'm not convinced that will solve it.
If the rubber strips push the door out more, the lock won't slot into it's keeper. As it is, it's catching the edge of the strike plate. The door has to be pushed in slightly to make it lock.
It seems to be the shoot bolts that have moved.
There is no allowance for the keepers to be moved even slightly.
One other option might be to have new keepers made?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back