What does the adjustment of these do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm adjusting my UPVC door. The (flag) hinge adjustments were logical and worked easily.

But at the side of the door, there are some knobs (highlighted on the attached) that rise up as part of the multi-point locking mechanism when the door handle is operated. Presumably that's to hold the door closed properly in the latch places.

The knobs have a hexagonal inset to allow adjustment using an Allen key. Google suggests these might be called "Latch Keepers" and the adjustment is for "compression".

I had thought maybe turning the knobs anti-clockwise would push the knobs out and further towards the metal vertical part of the frame so the knobs go deeper (or higher or lower instead?)into the latches. But when I try the adjustmnet, I can't actually see anything happening.

What are these things called and what is supposed to happen when one adjusts them, please.

Attachments

• Resized and marked door side.jpg
    Resized and marked door side.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
They are called roller cams, the outer rolls around like a bearing so when it slides down the latch or keep on the frame you get a nice smooth action and not metal on metal. The cam is rivetted and does not come off, screw in or out, it's mounted concentrically and if you turn it through 360° it will move sideways and up and down, the dash or dot helps you to see which orientation it's in, by having the dash or dot closer to the gasket on the door means you've given it maximum compression, turn it 180° so it's facing away means you have reduced compression, too much compression means you put too much strain on the handle and the mechanism and will result in premature failure, find a happy medium

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back