Adjusting bolts on UPVC French Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a UPVC french door which wont lock unless you lean on the handle. Lock works fine when the door is open. I tried opening the slave door and then tried the lock, so it was just the bolts into the frame top and bottom - the lock was difficult again. The bolts go through the metal bits but hit the plastic frame.
Is there a way of adjusting the length of movement of the top and bottom bolts or do I just drill a hole in the frame?

Sponsored Links
you could do either - drill out the plastic so the shootbolts reach their required travel - or the other option is to remove the screws where the shootbolts attach to the centre mechanism, you will probably be able to slide back or rotate a small retaining plate that laps over from the shootbolt to the centre plate which will allow you to get to the "crocodile teeth" that connect the two. From there just disconnect the teeth and you can then use the handle to shorten the travel and then reconnect so that when the handle is fully engaged the shootbolt will stop just before the plastic. You might find you only have to do this to the top or bottom, rather than both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back