American oak fininshing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Guys

I have just refurbed my house, i have 14 oak doors and two stair cases (also in oak) to stain or varnish?

The questions:-

1. Stain / Varnish or wax? i am looking to get the natual grain and colour of the timber
2. How many coats? do I sand first then appply the first coat or sand after each coat except the final finish?
3. The doors may need to be trimed when the carpet is fitted, should i wait until carpet is fitted?
4. The chippy said to put some thinners in with the stain/varnish. What do you guys think? if yes how much and do i need to thin for all coats?

regards

spider

Sponsored Links
1. Stain / Varnish or wax? i am looking to get the natual grain and colour of the timber

I'd try a bit of each on a spare bit of wood to see which one you prefer..personally i'd go for clear eggshell varnish..it gives a natural waxed look finish.

2. How many coats? do I sand first then appply the first coat or sand after each coat except the final finish?

3...and Yes rub down between each coat with fine abrasive paper...some people sat steel wool, personally I hate the stuff...it gets everywhere and isnt particull nice to work with.

3. The doors may need to be trimed when the carpet is fitted, should i wait until carpet is fitted?

Debatable...if they damage the doors when they trim them youll have to touch them up a bit after...if you do them after they are fitted youll run the risk of getting carpet fibres on your wet varnished door and/or varnish on your carpet.
I'd suggest you have the carpet put down, get the doors cut down, then remove them and varnish them someone out of the way.

The chippy said to put some thinners in with the stain/varnish. What do you guys think? if yes how much and do i need to thin for all coats?

Definatly thin the first coat, it will alow it to absorb into the wood and it will also raise the grain so you can rub it down smoother...id thin the first coat by about 20% the second by about 10% and make the last coat a full one.

With 14 oak doors and 2 oak staircases he's too busy making money to thank the likes of you. Bet he's a vet or dentist.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back