varnishing new oak doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've get 9 new internal doors. All made from pippy oak and I need to varnish them. Before applying Johnson's Clear Varnish do I need to use knotting solution? I used it on on skirting boards prior to painting and it left a orange stain around the knots, I'm concerned the orange stain would shine through the varnish. Is there a brand or type of knotting solution that does not leave the stain. :s

Sponsored Links
Hello, I've get 9 new internal doors. All made from pippy oak and I need to varnish them. Before applying Johnson's Clear Varnish do I need to use knotting solution? I used it on on skirting boards prior to painting and it left a orange stain around the knots, I'm concerned the orange stain would shine through the varnish. Is there a brand or type of knotting solution that does not leave the stain. :s

knotting solution is to stop the bleeding through painted surfaces not varnish
varnish is a sealant it wont stop the resin bubbling through.

Thanks for that. Anybody got any tips on how to stop this bubbling thing (other than knotting solution)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back