Amitco "wood" strip floor problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!
Problem is - under Amitco "wood" strip floor in one area the join between the plywood underneath - which I think is 9mm thick - is uneven, somehow one sheet of the ply does not have same level as the one next to it or there is a gap between the sheets at the join and it is noticable. This problem is near the edge of the floor where the appliances are free standing under the kitcken work top. It has always been like that but now I want to ask -
Is it possible to lift up rows of the Amitco "wood" strip without damaging the whole floor; cut away the uneven plywood if necessary and then replace? Otherwise nothing wrong with the floor!
The defect was never corrected by the floorlayer and it is quite a long time ago that the work was done.
Will try to get a floorlayer or carpenter to do the job but don't know anyone. I have some spare tiles. But do not want to ruin the whole floor!!Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes mate it is possible to repair them. Did the fitter feather finish screed the joints of the ply? Had joints show through myself over time even after screeding the joints. As plywood can expand and cause the joints to show through. Also depends on the quality of the ply.

Thanks for the reply. I actually used something called insulating board to reduce sound and it had aluminium foil on one side for fire resistance
( would not bother with that again). It was not feathered. The guys that did the job tried to make a pattern with the strips ( mad!) and when I saw that all the floor had to come up quickly and was relaid! At the end I was glad the floor turned out as well as it did but now the ridge bothers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I actually used something called insulating board to reduce sound and it had aluminium foil on one side for fire resistance
( would not bother with that again). It was not feathered. The guys that did the job tried to make a pattern with the strips ( mad!) and when I saw that all the floor had to come up quickly and was relaid! At the end I was glad the floor turned out as well as it did but now the ridge bothers.

I didnt understand a word of all that pmsl :oops:
Have you got a pic of the offending floor we could see, best advice can be given then.
Daz advice is spot on
But as with all advice, all the facts need to be present & understood for the best answer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back