Laying plywood under vinyl sheet floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The existing floor has wood panels (not sure what type) over the concrete base of the house. I guess they were original with the house (30 years) and they run under the skirting boards.

However they are now a bit worn and I think the dips and uneven joins will show up under vinyl sheet flooring (already been ordered).

If I was to fit new plywood over the top of this, do I need to leave an expansion gap between them and the skirting board? If so, won't the edges of the vinyl then bend down into it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How big are the dips. You could use 2 part wood filler to fill the joints, and as long as the dips aren't too large, then the 2 part filler could be used there as well, and sand it down with a belt sander before it goes too hard. How are you proposing to secure the plywood to the existing floor though.

If I was to fit new plywood over the top of this, do I need to leave an expansion gap between them and the skirting board?

Yes - or "do it properly" and remove the skirting and refit above the new flooring, so the expansion gap is under the skirting.

If so, won't the edges of the vinyl then bend down into it?

Yes. But you can make it less of a problem if you fill the expansion gap with something compressible. You can get foam strips for this; maybe
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FOSSA_CAULK_SAVER_6_METER_ROLL/ - but it needs to be soft enough that it doesn't restrict the expansion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back