gluing plywood on top of stone tiles before laying vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i will be soon attempting the above and i was wondering what the best glue/adhesive to use was to stick the plywood onto the old tiles before laying vinyl flooring.
i did this in a different room and i used no more nails type glue. then when i have then used vinyl flooring adhesive between plywood and vinyl, the plywood has lifted from the under stone flooring ..
daft, costly mistake that i dont want to repeat.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What room is it?

There's a lot of prepping to laying a simple sheet of vinyl. Basically, are the tiles well fixed on a solid or suspended floor, is there any damp in the floor or walls? what about floor levels between the rooms?
what happened to the failed floor?

What room is it?

There's a lot of prepping to laying a simple sheet of vinyl. Basically, are the tiles well fixed on a solid or suspended floor, is there any damp in the floor or walls? what about floor levels between the rooms?
what happened to the failed floor?
Hi Ted, thanks for replying.
first the room im doing is a small 'scullery' with concrete floor with red tiles on it ..very secure, no damp.

The room I did and made a mess of is the kitchen which was partly tiled-very old heavy large tiles on top of plywood over a suspended floor. Because it was an old adapted kitchen part of the floor didnt have tiles so i fixed mdf sheets to those areas to bring it up to the same level as the tiles. i then used 35mm plywood over the whole floor-nailing to the mdf and then gluing (with a no more nails type glue gun) the plywood to the tile bits.
i left it for a few days to see if it was okay..it all sat securely until i then glued the vinyl flooring to the plywood. It lifted one of the plywood boards which had come unstuck from the glued sub-tiles. Not sure if the vinyl floor glue has soaked through and reacted with the other glue?

looking back , i should have removed the old tiles but they were a bugger to get up and the seemed to provide a very firm base-it also brought the kitchen level up to the same level of the room next to it which i put down an engineered wood floor on top of mdf sheets- as again, it was an oldish house with uneven floors..
but as you said- it needs proper planning..i havent taken attaching the plywood seriously enough-hence asking now before i mess up again

Sponsored Links
In commeercial work I would never trust adhesive alone to bond plywood to hard floors. I've seen far too many fails over the years caused by corner cutting. I feel that there are just too many variables such as old finishes, residual contaminants such as cleaning compounds etc to guarantee a good, long lasting bond. And personally, I'm allergic to callbacks to fix mistakes, if only because they cost money. Instead on a floor like yours I'd drill, plug and screw into the tiles or drill through the tiles and screw to the timber floor beneath.

Seeing as its a small scullery area on a solid floor then why not simply lay the single cut of vinyl sheet and perimeter fix it with double sided tape - easy to lift and re-do if it doesn't suit?

Or do as job and knock advises?

Thin 6mm or even 12mm sheets of ply, glued on one top side (or even both sides) only will often curl up and rip out any screws and adhesive.
They need to be well screwed down at 100mm field and 150mm edging centres - sometimes, for me anyway, it can be well difficult to get the balance right.

I still dont understand the present FFL in the kitchen? The dining room threshold is the Benchmark for FFL's.

In commeercial work I would never trust adhesive alone to bond plywood to hard floors. I've seen far too many fails over the years caused by corner cutting. I feel that there are just too many variables such as old finishes, residual contaminants such as cleaning compounds etc to guarantee a good, long lasting bond. And personally, I'm allergic to callbacks to fix mistakes, if only because they cost money. Instead on a floor like yours I'd drill, plug and screw into the tiles or drill through the tiles and screw to the timber floor beneath.

Seeing as its a small scullery area on a solid floor then why not simply lay the single cut of vinyl sheet and perimeter fix it with double sided tape - easy to lift and re-do if it doesn't suit?

Or do as job and knock advises?

Thin 6mm or even 12mm sheets of ply, glued on one top side (or even both sides) only will often curl up and rip out any screws and adhesive.
They need to be well screwed down at 100mm field and 150mm edging centres - sometimes, for me anyway, it can be well difficult to get the balance right.

I still dont understand the present FFL in the kitchen? The dining room threshold is the Benchmark for FFL's.

the layout of house goes entrance in through scullery, into kitchen, then dining room (and thats it downstairs)..the scullery and kitchen will be brought up to the level of the dining room floor

thanks for the advice- to repair the kitchen im going to drill down through the tiles into the floorboards below.

most of the scullery will be hidden with white goods , but i think i will plug and screw those bits with most foot traffic..

and i promise i will never take this part of the job as flippantly again!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back