Laying vinyl tiles on plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just about to lay 450X450 x 2.5 vinyl tiles on plywood in a bathroom. About 7-8mtr2.

Is wickes adhesive recommened? I presume I need 5kgm.

Do I need to seal the plywood and screws first, if so, with what?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
From what I've read, the glue sometimes squeezes up between the times and needs cleaning off. As my tiles are almost black, it there a black or clear adhesive, so it won't show so much?
#C

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm just about to lay 450X450 x 2.5 vinyl tiles on plywood in a bathroom. About 7-8mtr2.

Is wickes adhesive recommened? I presume I need 5kgm.

Do I need to seal the plywood and screws first, if so, with what?

Cheers, Camerart.

What I have always done is almost what you’re doing this is a great time to screw the floor down and if you’re using glue down vinyl you should be able to lay your floor on the plywood but with the stick back I always have painted the floor first so the tile has something good to stick to good luck on your job Ed From Bennett carpentry and repairs

No glue should come through. You use a small adhesive trowel with a A2 notch.

Hi,
Bought a tub of Mapaei, pity Screwfix only sell 5Ltr, but I'm sure I can use the glue somewhere else.
Thanks all.
C.

Most Vinyl tiles are self adhesive nowadays, so which ones are they. You also haven't mentioned which Wikes glue you were going to use, not which Mapie glue you finally bought. You either need to really clean the plywood first to get rid of any dust, or use an acrylic primer before you start.

Most Vinyl tiles are self adhesive nowadays, so which ones are they. You also haven't mentioned which Wikes glue you were going to use, not which Mapie glue you finally bought. You either need to really clean the plywood first to get rid of any dust, or use an acrylic primer before you start.
Hi D,

The plywood is new, screwed down.
The tiles are Armstrong Scala100 2.5mm 45,72x45,72 no glue.
Yes, I was one the way to Wickes, then I saw Screwfix has grey adhesive, but it was for ceramic tiles, and as I was there bought the Mapaei.
C

You want a vinyl adhesive, not one for ceramic tile. Was it the Mapei Ultrabond VS90, as the Mapei C is for High temperatures, and only comes in a tube.

You want a vinyl adhesive, not one for ceramic tile. Was it the Mapei Ultrabond VS90, as the Mapei C is for High temperatures, and only comes in a tube.
Hi,
you misunderstood, I did by the vinyl adhesive.
C

Hi,
Started laying the tiles yesterday. I hadn't read the instructions till I started (Mistake) I thought there would be a plastic tool, with serations, but there wasn't so I made one. Next it said to used a 86Kg roller..............WHAT! I had to make a roller from a lathe chuck with a bar through it.
Anyway, what a mess. The tool I made had pointed teeth, which meant more gaps, so more adhesive. Adhesive all over the place, I walk round now with a sticky noise, and there's no chance of me slipping.
Today I cut down the tool teeth so they are square at the bottom, and was much better, and quicker.
Should finish tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice, C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back