Ammoed Cable & Earthing Nut - Also Earth To Back Box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys - I need a bit of help.

There is a run of armored cable from the shed to the back of the garden with a 2-gang socket on the end. I opened it up and noticed that it does not earth to the little grub screw in the back-box, is this normal?

It has been installed with an earthing nut. It looks like the earth is in two places:

- Earth cable from the armored going into the socket
- Earth cable from the eating nut going into the socket

Is this correct - I am wondering if the earthing nut should not be going to the little grub on the back panel, or possibly link the grub screw on the back panel into the socket so its all earthed together? Is any of that necessary or is it ok?

Any help is appreciated!

https://imgur.com/a/9qQSRKh

GaOxTQn.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Apart from looking like a bodge, the earthing arrangements are OK, although the earth should be fully sleeved rather than a bit of tape on half of it.. The box is plastic, no point in earthing it. Also no point in linking the two earth terminals on the faceplate together, theres a galvanised bar doing exactly the same.

Thanks for the speedy reply. It defiantly looks like a bodge.

Based on what you said, I will remove that bridge as it seems to be doing nothing, and chuck some sleeve over the rest, should be better then I guess. Anything else worth doing whilst in there?

Based on what you said, I will remove that bridge as it seems to be doing nothing, and chuck some sleeve over the rest, should be better then I guess. Anything else worth doing whilst in there?

Nope, other than that, looks OK to me. For info, if the box was metal, then it could be an "exposed conductive part", meaning it could become live under fault conditions (a loose live conductor touching the box for example), and would therefore require earthing. As it's not conductive, made of plastic, then no need to earth it.

Sponsored Links

I would use some more flexible (stranded) earth wire if you have access to any - maybe from some 2.5mm 3c flex - no need for sleeving then. Solid conductors easily snap.

It does appear to have a piranha nut which not many bodgers would think of using,

Some gland packs are sold with them in now instead of banjos

Looks like maybe the wrong lug on that link cable, is it a Yellow lug.
Is there a shroud on that armoured

At the supply side it looks basically the same, but goes into a three way junction box, but the way the armored comes in is the same. I can take pics tomorrow. Both ends have a shroud, I pulled it back a bit in the pic but it's there and coveres the metal completely.

Yes the connector is blue....is that just a colour coding thing, or does the blue carry less current if it trips than a yellow? What am I googling to buy to replace it if necessary?

Last edited:
The colour is the size, blue is for 2.5 cable, yellow is 6mm, hard to tell your size cable, but a yellow on 2.5 would be rough, 1.5mm would be Red,
The earth out of 2,5mm T and E is only 1.5mm.
That bare earth looks like it maybe that, if so ideally a Red lug with 4mm ring hole, if the lug feels on tight, pull the wire a bit, then do not worry too much,

None of the squash flat lug crimps fits properly anyway and none should be on a solid conductor.

Probably better to wrap the wire around the screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back