Amount of translucent material in conservatories

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I was always under the impression that one aspect required to make "conservatories" exempt from Building Control involvement was that the roof had to be 75% or more glass. However there are now a lot of " solid roof" systems available for new build or as replacement roofs. If a planed conservatory satisfies other criteria such as separate heating and external grade doors separating it from the main house then do the translucency requirements no longer apply? Obviously a number of slid roof system companies suggest they don't!

Sponsored Links
Glass area is irrelvant now.

It is all taken care of within Part L1B Existing Dwellings, no need of any special notes or other LABC blurb. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...BR__PDF__AD_L1B_2013_with_2016_amendments.pdf

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

There's a really boring 600 page long thread on the subject on here somewhere.

Thanks for the replies. I dug out the thread referred to. I think my new home LA (Dartmoor) probably take a 'firm' line on conservatory definition but I don't intend to get them involved in the first place and make sure I stay within the PD rules

Sponsored Links
Planning is completely separate to Building Control and in anycase I think Dartmoor comes under the 'Devon Building Control' team rather than Dartmoor LA, Dartmoor is such a tiny LA they don't have their own BC department.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back