Amount of ventilation space needed behind a built-in oven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I did try and do a search for this but couldn't find enough information, essentially my problem is this:

I want to replace my current built-in oven as it's on its last legs (its an old candy oven). I haven't removed it from its housing yet but have managed to find the manual for it so can pretty much tell that the size of the space it is currently fitted in will lend itself to a number of newer ovens (at least from a height and width perspective it will). The issue I might have, and this is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of, is with the depth of the cabinet.

The depth of the cabinet is currently around 580mm. The candy oven (if I'm reading the instructions correctly) is around 530mm deep and requires a space of 45mm behind of ventilation. This would make sense given the dimmensions of the current cabinet housing.

What I want to know is, do all ovens require a certain amount of space behind them for ventilation? If so do they all need this much?

reason I ask is that I'm struggling to find newer ovens that are anything less than about 550mm deep and that would leave just 30mm behind.

If anyone could help answer my question and point me in the direction of a relatively inexpensive oven that would work in such a space, I'd be most grateful.

I'm looking for one that can run off a standard 13am supply so will be one with a relatively low power consumption (and price hopefully!)

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Its not JUST the space at the back of the oven, it needs ventilation below & above to make a chimney.
I would assume your old cabinet has that, so it should just be a case of old oven out, new one in.

Thanks to both of you for the advice. Seems like the space at the back isn't as much of an issue as I thought then in that case.

Having done a bit more digging, I found this manual for a hotpoint oven that I'm strongly considering. Link to manual here:

http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/hotpoint/_pdf/manuals/19506843800_UK.pdf

I Would be intersted to get your advice based on the diagram that is shown on page 2 of the manual.

It looks as if it is saying that you need a cavity that is at a minimum 547mm deep. Given the dimensions of the oven that would leave only 2mm gap behind the oven.

Does that sound about right?

It would still have the required space above and below the oven, presumably so that it can create a chimney as you have said.

Thanks again to both of you for your advice.

Tom

Sponsored Links
It looks like that is the suggested minimum, the backs and sides of most of these cookers aren't flat and have areas where air can flow up and around from below and above. You just want to make sure it isn't completely boxed in.

Perfect,

Thanks Gobo, just wanted a sanity check to make sure I wasn't being really daft. I'll double check once the old oven comes out to make sure there is more than the suggested minimum but I suspect that shouldn't be an issue if it's just 550mm that's needed.

Thanks again, appreciate your help,

Tom

The floor where the oven will sit is 45mm shorter than the back to front, thats where the airflow will be.

Ahh yes,

Now that I look at the diagram again, what you say makes total sense. I just need to make sure that the shelf it sits on doesn't run completely to the back then in that case.

Thats brilliant guys, I'm chuffed that I got an answer to this so quickly.

Thanks again to both of you.

Cheers

T

Thanks for your thanks appreciated.
One day you will help others no doubt (unless you have already).

Hi, I am having a problem with fitting a new built in oven as my Old Diplomat was was only 496mm depth. Width 596 Height 596.

The unit takes the width and height ok but it is not deep enough for the new oven that I have just got. On the wall behind the oven is a fuse box and I guess I need to leave enough space as not to touch it. I was thinking I could build up the front of the cupboard at the sides with wood, so that I can screw into it to hold oven in place. Not sure how safe that is though. It is poking out
by about 4 or 5 cm at the front. Hope someone can help me as I don't know what else to do. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back