Wanting to fit a new single oven - measurement concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

First time posting here (so hello, please be kind! ;) ) and as you might guess I'm in need of a bit of advice.

My single oven in the kitchen is in desperate need of replacing (the door won't close properly, it's rusted and it's so old Candy - the manufacturer - don't even claim it exists on their website) so I figured I'd start having a look at a new one.

After looking online I've come to notice, pretty much all of them, say that they require a recess depth of 550mm to slot into, herein lies my confusion / problem. After removing the current oven and inspecting the current recess I am confronted with this :

By my measurement the depth of the recess (that is, the actuall shelf the oven sits on) is only 520mm deep, and if things weren't tight enough the open gap at the back is occupied by a gas pipe feeding up to the hobs above - certainly something you don't want to crush or heat up with a oven pressing against it.

Am I basically right in thinking that if a oven says it requires a recess of 550mm (like this one : http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/new-wo...inless-steel-04982302-pdt.html#tab-tech-specs ) that it simply won't be going into that space in the image?

According to the manual I managed to get for my current one the oven itself is said to be 535mm deep - can you even get new ones that small?

Thanks for your time,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ah damnit, a word of warning after recieving this; the dimensions for this oven (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-1741.aspx) are incorrect - the depth is actually 545mm.

Guess I just learnt to verify more before purchase.

Have you found an alternative oven yet?

I have exactly the same problem. I have the gas hob pipe running down the back of my cabinet, restricting depth to 535mm.

I too was looking at a Caple oven as the depth is reported at 535mm, but was worried it wouldn't fit without touching the pipe. In addition, the pipe comes out further near the top, and the top 85mm has a restricted depth of 485mm.

My previous oven was a Whirlpool AKP511, which was advertised with a depth of 540, but it's actually 535 with a shorter back, so just about fits.

I haven't found a single advertised oven that is guaranteed to fit, and I'm running out of options :(

Have you found an alternative oven yet?

I have exactly the same problem. I have the gas hob pipe running down the back of my cabinet, restricting depth to 535mm.

I too was looking at a Caple oven as the depth is reported at 535mm, but was worried it wouldn't fit without touching the pipe. In addition, the pipe comes out further near the top, and the top 85mm has a restricted depth of 485mm.

My previous oven was a Whirlpool AKP511, which was advertised with a depth of 540, but it's actually 535 with a shorter back, so just about fits.

I haven't found a single advertised oven that is guaranteed to fit, and I'm running out of options icon_sad.gif

After the failure of Tesco's to list items accurately I went back and asked Caple directly if they could send me a list of models that were 535mm deep. The list I got was :

C2100
C2214SS
C2216
C2219
C2228
C2361
C2511

As of now I've placed an order for the C2228 here : http://www.appliancecity.co.uk/Product/Caple/Ovens/C2228/ which is 535mm deep and according to Caple's installation instructions can fit into a 500mm (minimum) deep shelf.

Most built under ovens have extra space at the rear sides,so you can get almost anything to fit if you get the gas pipe altered and fitted right into the corner.

After the failure of Tesco's to list items accurately I went back and asked Caple directly if they could send me a list of models that were 535mm deep.

As of now I've placed an order for the C2228 here : http://www.appliancecity.co.uk/Product/Caple/Ovens/C2228/ which is 535mm deep and according to Caple's installation instructions can fit into a 500mm (minimum) deep shelf.

I've also been looking at the Caple models. I found the size information confusing; I think the unit itself is 535mm deep, and the install instructions require a cabinet 550mm deep (500mm shelf to sit on followed by 50mm space for ventilation).

The key thing for me will be how the back of the unit is organised. i.e. it may only be 535mm deep at a certain point, and not all of the back. I may have to get the pipe moved a bit to fit (or change from gas hob to Ceramic and remove the pipe completely?).

It would be great if you could post a follow-up with your experience of the Caple oven. Could you upload a photo of the back of the unit before it is fitted, and perhaps measure the height and width at the back?

Oh fun. The joy of inaccurate information continues. I've just recieved the C2228 from Caple as I mentioned above and opened up the manual to find the dimensions of the oven listed as...

543mm

Yet again a 2nd oven that doesn't fit as it touches the gas pipe at the back and sold using incorrect and inaccurate information. This is getting beyond a joke now, am I missing something...seriously?

Well it's all sorted. Finally.

In the end I actually got http://www.kitchen-appliances-direc..._Single_Oven.aspx?&r=Promotions&k=caple+c2361 which was what tonto33 originally suggested. The reason I didn't go for this immeditally was there seemed to be cheaper ones around however the jungle of inaccurate information even when consulting a manufactuer was too much. Not willing to go through the whole likley process again with a new manufacturer Caple assured me (they had to get a guy to measure it and take a photo of the manual) that the C2361 one was the right size so I went for it.

It fit just the same as the original one did, didn't touch the gas pipe and is all hooked up and working.

A tip to retailers and manufacturers who might read this : Be accurate about the specifications of your product. It ain't difficult.

Hi,

Im glad you managed to get everything sorted in the end. When I did a google search for an oven that is no deeper than 520mm due to a gas pipe at the back your post came back as the top option.

I was wondering if you can remember if your oven is plugged into a plug or hardwired into the wall please? My oven has gone and the other 2 blow up when using the timer and having problems finding one too fit.

Thank you very much

Hello there!

Wow, this was some time ago. The original oven was hardwired into the wall, however, I think when the new one was installed the electrician changed it for a socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back