amptec electric flow boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have just installed a heatrae sadia amptec electric flow boiler. im having trouble wiring it up and i wondered if someone could please help me. There is power to the heater but the pump will not run and it is not producing any heat. im sure ive wired it wrong!! here is what the instructions say to do

View media item 19236
View media item 19237
i have put a link wire in between the 'N' and 'R' points in the control terminal as i do not want a thermostat on this heater. Im thinking this is where i have gone wrong

please help guys

Sponsored Links
The symbol between 'N' and 'R' on the first diagram looks like a relay coil. If so, that will need 230v to operate. When it operates it will pull in the contact that connects the supply live to the pump live and start the pump. (centre contact in the picture) and also the contacts supplying the heater and switch that on.

So instead of joining the 'N' & 'R' together, 'N' should be a neutral connection and 'R' (run) a live connection, normally switched from a thermostat.

Is there not some text with the diagrams telling you what to connect where?

I believe to comply with Part L of the building regulations (and also to save energy) you should fit a thermostat.

Thanx for replying mate, much appreciated.

i will go out next week and get a thermostat but for now, could you tell me how to wire it up so i can get it working today please. would i have to put a link wire from the main live to the 'R' terminal and then a link wire from the R terminal to the 'N' terninal or am i completely wrong

thanx for helping me with this, people like you are a credit to this comunity

Sponsored Links
The answer is there under Electrical Connections item 2 just as I suspected.

"Connect the switched live to terminal 'R' neutral to 'N' on the control terminal block."

So you connect a live to 'R' and a neutral to 'N' make sure that your live for the control circuit is suitably fused 3A max. This is because the boiler heater will require a separate much higher rated supply (model dependant) than the control circuit.

Don't link the terminals it will be a short circuit. I've also shown where the room thermostat would be added when you get it. Just break the 'L' and connect the two ends to the thermostat terminals. (some thermostats may need a neutral too) If you buy a combined timeswitch and thermostat you can set the on & off times there also

I take it that you are aware that if you start a new circuit from your consumer unit, which an appliance of this size requires, that this work is notifiable to your LABC before you start installation. This will also be a check that you are using the correct size cables & MBC and have an RCD and suitable isolation in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back