An IP question for an Electrician :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am surprised that I could not find this in the wiki...

I have a high ceiling, 3.2m in my bathroom.

I have 2 questions:

1. I found a fitting that said it's IP44 and for zone 2, however, it can be used for zone 1 if there is a 30maRCD thingy installed. Is this correct? For reference, I want to put a zone 2 light fixture above a bathtub, about 1.8m from the ground. I see that if I put it 2.25 and above, then I'm fine with the zone 2, but it also looks rather ridiculous and I would just not bother.

2. Given the high ceiling height, I would like to have a chandelier, but there are very very few IP rated ones and limited choice ---- do I really need an IP rated fixture if the chandelier is above 2.25m? The chandelier would sit in the middle of the bathroom. To the side, there is a shower, with a glass screen up to 2.0m Perhaps there is no plausible way to do this, appreciate feedback.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. I found a fitting that said it's IP44 and for zone 2, however, it can be used for zone 1 if there is a 30maRCD thingy installed. Is this correct?
It can be used in zone 1 if IPX4 (IPX5 if subject to low pressure jets)
However the manufacturers instructions must be followed.
You could contact the manufacturer and find out why they state IP44 is not suitable for zone 1.
The RCD protection is a separate regulation applicable to new installations within all the zones.

For reference, I want to put a zone 2 light fixture above a bathtub, about 1.8m from the ground.
Find one which is suitable for zone 1.

I see that if I put it 2.25 and above, then I'm fine with the zone 2, but it also looks rather ridiculous and I would just not bother.
OK. That would be 'outside the zones'.

2. Given the high ceiling height, I would like to have a chandelier, but there are very very few IP rated ones and limited choice ---- do I really need an IP rated fixture if the chandelier is above 2.25m?
No, but it must be suitable for the environment.
Condensation may run down into the connections.

The chandelier would sit in the middle of the bathroom. To the side, there is a shower, with a glass screen up to 2.0m Perhaps there is no plausible way to do this, appreciate feedback.
It must be suitable for the environment, i.e. steamy bathrooms - so probably not likely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back