Replacement Bathroom light - right IP rating?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a bathroom light - it was a standard metal ceiling light fitting, in zone 1, connected using taped up chocolate block. Need we tremble. And it also acted as the junction for the entire upstairs lighting ring

However, the lights I can find which are formally noted as "for zone 1" are all dreadful - most look like they belong in a hospital or opther institution. Is there any reason why I cannot use any light, provided it is IP44 or better, where if it is 240v I use a 30ma RCD?

I have seen some outside lights, IP 65 rated, but nowhere does it suggest these are ok to use in a bathroom - is it not the case that ANY light that meets or beats the relevant IP rating is acceptable?

don't want LED, becuase they are not bright enough.

Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
The bathroom is in the eaves of the building, and so the roof slopes form about 2.1 m down to .9m. The exisiting light was about 3 feet above the bath!!! I am amazed that people have lived here for 30 years and nobody has been damaged!

So you are saying thatprovided I meet IP 44 or better, then it does not matter if the fitting instructions do not specify a specific zone? The light I have found is actually an outside ligth, with IP65 rating - as far as I can see it should suffice!

Will depend on your particular circumstances:
This is a fair guide
Zone 1 - Above the bath or shower to a height if 2.25m. A minimum rating of IPX4(IP44) is required. In this zone, if there is likelihood of water jets being used for cleaning purposes, a minimum of IPX5 is required. Also, subject to IP rating, SELV or 240V luminaires may be used in this zone; if the fitting is 240 volts, a 30mA residual current device (RCD) must also be used to protect the circuit in this zone.

Do you have a link to the light you have seen.
Can I/we offer you alternatives?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link - what amnazes me is the complete lack of variety - every single lighting site sels exactly the same lights.

I was actually looking for a combined up-lighter/downlighter - Homebase used to do an excellent one, that was IP44 rated. But now they sell the same lights as everyone else - most of which seem to belong in a nursery or hospital!

The one I liked the look of was similar to the "Palin" (middle top row) here

http://www.nationallighting.co.uk/Exterior_Lighting/Wall_Lights/Uplighters/catid/31/2

This one is IP44 - the one I had found (and will have to search for agaibn!!) was IP65. I see no reaosn why these should notbe used in a bathroom?

Can I assume from the lack of response that there is no problem with me using these external IP65 lights in zone 1 then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back