Bathroom Light IP Rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician has advised me that my bathroom ceiling light is not IP rated and should be replaced (photo below). It's not above the bath, but about 80 cm away from a point above the closest edge of it. Its base is 2350mm above the ground, which, according to this website https://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/bathroom-lighting-zones is sufficient for it not to need an IP rating. It is, as you can see, rather open. It came with a semi-transparent plastic circular guard, but this was useless as the heat of the lightbulb quickly caused that to disintegrate. So (a) should I replace the light as suggested by the electrician, and (b) as an alternative, can I source a replacement guard to go in there?

Thanks.

IMG_20240102_151733[1].jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, it would appear to be "out of the zones" so the only thing prohibiting it is if the manufacturer stated it was not suitable for a steamy environment (unlikely).

Technically everything is IP rated even if IP00 although obviously no one states that.

As a point of interest, what rating does the electrician say it must be?

Yes, it would appear to be "out of the zones" so the only thing prohibiting it is if the manufacturer stated it was not suitable for a steamy environment (unlikely).

Technically everything is IP rated even if IP00 although obviously no one states that.

As a point of interest, what rating does the electrician say it must be?
Don't know. He just quotes "Supply and install new IP rated bathroom light with LED enclosure: £120" and has put in the certificate for installation of my fuse box " client advised bathroom light not IP rated".

Sponsored Links
Don't know. He just quotes "Supply and install new IP rated bathroom light with LED enclosure: £120" and has put in the certificate for installation of my fuse box " client advised bathroom light not IP rated".

I would ask him in writing for the justification for his decision given its outside zones.

I would ask him in writing for the justification for his decision given its outside zones.
I explained to him that it didn't seem right to me, and he hasn't responded, so I'll just ignore him in this.

His comment on the EIC doesn’t mean you have to act on it so unless he can confirm what regs he think are being broken then you could ignore it.

I have sometimes written “it may make sense to replace the bathroom light to one with an IP rating of 44 or above”

Only once can I remember an issue later, and that was when the filament bulb exploded at a later date, and all the glass fragments scattered all over the bathroom carpet.

His comment on the EIC doesn’t mean you have to act on it so unless he can confirm what regs he think are being broken then you could ignore it.
I can't see why the OP would "have to act on it" even if the comment were correct/valid and could be supported by reference to a reg which had been violated.

EICs do not create obligations for the recipient!

I can't see why the OP would "have to act on it" even if the comment were correct/valid and could be supported by reference to a reg which had been violated.

Do give it a rest Mr Splitting-Hairs

I am a bit surprised that I can see the wires.
Could they be better routed (pulled or pushed up into ceiling?
And does the brown (live) wire have bare copper showing or is that just an effect in the image?

Screenshot_20240102-212128.png

Last edited:
Should they be better routed (pulled or pushed up into ceiling?
And does the brown (live) wire have bare copper showing or is that just an effect in the image?

View attachment 327603
I too didn't like the look of those wires or even the light fitting itself in a steamy bathroom and I think you are right in spotting the bare wires.
As it will be a straight swap with a new light fitting this is something that is allowed to be done by any "competent person" isn't it can the OP swap it themselves.
And yes get him to put in writing why its not correct - sounds like he is just trying to bully you into paying him to fit something else if indeed it is in a safe zone. Having said that I would not have that in my bathroom.

Could they be better routed (pulled or pushed up into ceiling?

View attachment 327603
It's just an effect - that part of the wire caught the light. I'll see if I can push the wires up into the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back