Replacing bathroom light fitting - electrician required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An electrician has already installed downlights in my bathroom, but I discovered that he lied about their IP rating.

I have purchased some replacement lights which are IP65 rated of exactly the same size, and simply need to be substituted with exactly the same wiring.

I'm perfectly capable of doing the job myself, but as its in a bathroom, do I really need pay for Part P certified electrician to do it? Alternatively, may I make the connections and leave it available for inspection and just pay a qualified electrician to certify it? (I've found an honest one now)

Sponsored Links
You are allowed to swop light fittings without any further notification needed.

Thanks.

BTW, I never received any documents for the work the original electrician did, so I suspect he didn't notify building control.

Would there be any implications for myself as the property owner, if I reported the electrician to the authorities for failure to notify?

"the authorities" won't care - it is not their issue. It is yours. If your elc. said he would self-certify, ring him and insist he does so.

Sponsored Links
To have done this notifiable work he must be a member of an approved scheme.
Is he listed here?

www.competentperson.co.uk

If yes, then complain to his scheme provider. If no, then you could raise it with your local authority, but (per the above) they don't have the inclination or resources to chase this sort of minor infingement of legislation.

If the ceiling is more than 2.25m high the work is not notifiable.

Therefore it may be acceptable for him not to be registered but I would still expect some form of certification to show that the work has been tested.

If the ceiling is more than 2.25m high the work is not notifiable.

Therefore it may be acceptable for him not to be registered but I would still expect some form of certification to show that the work has been tested.

Cool. Its 2.27m so therefore its not notifiable. If that's the case, then does that also mean that his failure to install an RCD doesn't brake Part P regs either (AFAIK lights are in zone 3 as above zone 2 and ceiling is less than 3m) ?
Aha - just seen "All equipment installed in Zone 3 must be protected by an RCD with a rating not exceeding 30 mA.", so he's broken Part P regs.
I've also read that zone 3 no longer exists, and RCD protection is only required for zones 1 & 2. Which is correct?

BTW, he's not registered either with CPS nor NICEIC (and Companies House shows he keeps dissolving and forming new companies).

Damn - just noticed that the fan/light above the shower head is in zone 2, so that means the work would be notifiable.

As the property owner, can I be fined for failing to notify even though the lying electrician told me he was certified under the CPS scheme?

Damn - just noticed that the fan/light above the shower head is in zone 2, so that means the work would be notifiable.
It is the ceiling height from the floor, not the bath or shower, which counts.
It's not supposed to make sense.

As the property owner, can I be fined for failing to notify even though the lying electrician told me he was certified under the CPS scheme?
Not fined - hanged.

No, seriously, don't worry. Don't tell anyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back