New Downlights in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I need to install 4 new downlights in my bathroom in Zone 2
I have the IP65 Fire Rated Low Voltage MR16 Downlights and 12V Electronic transformer.

I know how to do everything, but I am not certified. What is the best (fastest/cheapest) way to do the work, should I do the work and then invite a Certified Engineer to test and to issue a Certificate, or should I hire a Certified Electrical Engineer to do the whole work?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
I need to install 4 new downlights in my bathroom in Zone 2
Actually what you need to do is to change your mind and use a different form of lighting which is actually designed to light up rooms.

I have the IP65 Fire Rated Low Voltage MR16 Downlights and 12V Electronic transformer.
You can probably return them.

I know how to do everything
Including how to comply with Building Regulations parts C, L, and if appropriate Part E? The fact that the electrical parts of those lights are IP rated at 65 does not mean that as a unit they won't allow air to pass from the bathroom into the space above. Installing recessed fittings in bathrooms can be difficult, and if you have no access from above (e.g. a flat roof, a shallow or inaccessible roof space, another dwelling) pretty much impossible to do correctly.

What is the best (fastest/cheapest) way to do the work, should I do the work and then invite a Certified Engineer to test and to issue a Certificate, or should I hire a Certified Electrical Engineer to do the whole work?
Definitely the latter.

An electrician may not self-certify work which he did not do himself, so unless you have him do it, you'd have to apply for Building Regulations approval in advance (which costs) and, depending on what your particular council does, then pay them again to inspect & test. The regime of registered third-party certifiers exists only in the minds of the people who wrote the legislation - there are no such certifiers in practice.

Thanks,

What is the downside of not having the Certificate?
I have never heard of anzybody not being to sell the house because of the missing certificate.

Nor has anybody else here.

Downside is that it's a stick for any potential buyer to use on you to get a lower price, which may or may not be a real issue depending on the state of the market at the time.

No sane person would refuse to buy a house because there was no BR certificate for bathroom lights. But they might if the roof timbers were rotting, and they might if they don't like swiss cheese ceilings.

Just don't lie on any questionnaires about notifiable work when you come to sell.

Sponsored Links
Nor has anybody else here.

Downside is that it's a stick for any potential buyer to use on you to get a lower price, which may or may not be a real issue depending on the state of the market at the time.

No sane person would refuse to buy a house because there was no BR certificate for bathroom lights. But they might if the roof timbers were rotting, and they might if they don't like swiss cheese ceilings.

Just don't lie on any questionnaires about notifiable work when you come to sell.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back