Does this require notification and/or a professional ? (Scotland)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a competent DIYer about to replace a bathroom including toilet, basin, bath with shower (not electric), as well as remove and replace tiling. It's a first floor flat with another flat above and below and in Scotland. I'm used to DIY in our detached house but this is a relative's flat and I'm thinking the requirements may be different.

I'm also planning to install a false ceiling by building a timber frame then attaching PVC cladding. So far I think I'm OK. However, I'd like to change the existing light fitting to some LED downlights (fire rated and suitable for bathrooms).

I'm confident I can do the wiring and installation of the downlights - my question is though whether I'm allowed to or do I need to notify the council or do I need to employ a professional electrician ? Alternatively, could I do the work myself then arrange for a professional electrician to check/certify the work ?

Grateful for any advice please.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
... So far I think I'm OK. However, I'd like to change the existing light fitting to some LED downlights (fire rated and suitable for bathrooms). .... I'm confident I can do the wiring and installation of the downlights - my question is though whether I'm allowed to or do I need to notify the council or do I need to employ a professional electrician ?
I'm afraid that (like many others here) I haven't got a clue about Scotland (which has its own rules), but hopefully someone here might be able to help you specifically.

For what it's worth, if it were in England, installing the downlights would not be 'notifiable' IF they were powered by a pre-existing lighting cicuit AND IF there were not in bathroom 'zones' (within 600mm of bath or shower and less than 2.25m above floor level). They would also need to be on an RCD-protected circuit.
Alternatively, could I do the work myself then arrange for a professional electrician to check/certify the work ?
Again, I can't speak for Scotland, but in England such an option is not available for work which IS 'notifiable' - if one doesn't notify such work oneself (before the work starts, and usually involving £££), an electrician has to be involved before the work starts.

I hope that someone else can be more helpful to you :)

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2
Many thanks, that's very helpful. It's fine with regard to the pre-existing circuit and both the 600mm and 2.25m. However, I'll have a look to see if there's an RCD covering the lighting circuits as well as the ring mains. If not, I'll need to bring in a professional. I'm thinking that I'll email the council as well detailing the works and ask them if anything needs notification.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
JohnW2 ... Many thanks, that's very helpful. It's fine with regard to the pre-existing circuit and both the 600mm and 2.25m. However, I'll have a look to see if there's an RCD covering the lighting circuits as well as the ring mains. If not, I'll need to bring in a professional. I'm thinking that I'll email the council as well detailing the works and ask them if anything needs notification. Thanks again
You're welcome, and thanks for thanking me - but please remember that everything I said related to the situation in England (it's even different in Wales), and things may be very different in Scotland.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back