What certificate do I need for my bathroom electrics?

Sponsored Links
An update on this: I spoke to the builder. He was surprised it was notifiable but said not to worry, he would get the electrician to notify through his scheme. He said there was nothing for me to do, the scheme would tell the council and they would send me the relevant docs. This seemed fine.

I sent him a note once he finished on Friday to ask how long it would take to get the docs from the Council, and also to say that I was a bit surprised that I didn't have some sort of certificate to evidence the work and testing done. He said not to worry, the electrician would send him the certificate and he would then send it on to me - no need to tell the council, the certificate is just for my purposes when I sell the house.

So, I think it's all in order. Everything he says accords with my understanding of how these things work. The only slight concern I have is the "no need to tell the Council" bit. If I'm just going to get a minor works certificate then I'm still in trouble... but not as much trouble as the builder, I believe? I've had a look on the Planning Portal and it seems that it is the person who does the work, rather than the home-owner, who is liable to pay the fine for failure to comply. I guess it's not ideal for me either as I will still need to do something to ensure the work is properly signed off, but clearly he's running a bigger financial risk than I am if he's planning on doing anything other than having his electrician notify the council through the competent person scheme, right?

One other thing.... I was getting concerned about the extra sockets I'd added in an upstairs bedroom, and my failure to get a minor works certificate for this. Out of curiosity I had a look at these "part P" courses. The first one I found happily tells me this:

What do the changes, from April 2013, mean to Part P of the Building Regulations?

When extending/altering any electrical circuits even in bathrooms and kitchens, you will now not have to inform Building Control.

That's nonsense, isn't it?! I can't really see the benefits of these courses for people like me- I fail to see what I could learn in 2 days - but I'd still expect them to get their facts right in the Q&A. As discussed in this thread, making alterations in the bathroom zones is still notifiable even after April 2013, so I don't really understand how they can confidently state that you will not need to notify if extending/altering electrical circuits in bathrooms.[/b]

Sponsored Links
What do the changes, from April 2013, mean to Part P of the Building Regulations? ... When extending/altering any electrical circuits even in bathrooms and kitchens, you will now not have to inform Building Control.That's nonsense, isn't it?!
Indeed, extensions/alterations to circuits within bathroom zones was one of the very few things which remained notifiable (in England) even after April 2013.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back