Bathromm Downlights & Extractor

TCH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat was converted in the late 1980's and has a small bathroom with a single 40W light and an extractor fan.

The 240V extractor is directly over the bath near the taps and shower. The light is in-line with the edge of the bath.

Although professionally converted, this seems pretty dodgy these days.

I've bought 4 GU10 IP65 shower downlights (240V) and I'd like to fit one above the bath/shower. And I'd like to replace the extractor with a humidity activated one.

The bathroom ceiling is 2502mm high and 1900mm above the bath.

My questions are:
a) Is it OK to put a 240V IP65 downlight above the bath/shower?
b) Do I electrically arrange the downlighters in a star using a junction box?
c) I'm very capable with electrics (used to work on 25KV in the RAF). Does any of this work need to be done by a qualified electrician?
d) Is any of this work notifiable?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
you've choosen a good rating of fitting :)

These will be fine for the bathroom :)

The work is notafiable!!!

You do not have to use a registered sparky as you could use the council to certify, but that WILL probably be costly

Use a sparky :D

Ahh yes but you are going to be compromising the fire integrity of your bathroom ceiling. As this is a flat then the ceiling is likely to be fire rated to protect the other flats in the block.

If so you'll need to return the nice IP65 downlights and get fire rated ones (or fit fire hoods).

You'll need to comply with 17th edition for all of this work (eg RCD protect all of the circuits coming into the bathroom, etc). The junction box will need to be accessible and yes it is notifiable.
Location of joists and other obstructions will determine if a star or other pattern is practical. You may want light over the wash basin....

you've choosen a good rating of fitting :)

These will be fine for the bathroom :)

The work is notafiable!!!

You do not have to use a registered sparky as you could use the council to certify, but that WILL probably be costly

Use a sparky :D

Dont do it, use low voltage, so much better lighting and lamps last so much longer if a decent transformer is used.

Sponsored Links
He is using low voltage:
I've bought 4 GU10 IP65 shower downlights (240V)
The IEC definitions of voltage bands are:
  • Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V
  • Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC
  • Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV
  • High voltage: 35kV - 230kV
  • Extra-high voltage: >230kV
This is not some pedantic technical point - if you start getting involved in doing your own electrical work, and start learning about regulations etc you'll come across references to "Low voltage", and it'll be no good you thinking that that means 12V...

Excellent advice from all of you; I'll scrap this upgrade.

I only waned to do it as I can't find a suitable 240V lamp to replace the existing single one. Although directly above the edge of the bath, I think it's in zone 2 as it's 2500mm above the floor.

Cheers one and all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back