No bath, no shower - not a bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm in the process of replacing my bathroom suite. Currently the
only thing in the room as it stands in the toilet pan.

So does this classify a bathroom?

The reason for asking is that I need to remove the shaver socket. A question that has been asked before, and I know this is notifiable work - In a bathroom.

I want to remove the socket so that I can put a mirror where it currently is. I may retask the cable for use with above mirror lights. I'd get a sparky in for that, and final connection of underfloor heating and replacement of ceiling light, etc. But I'm not ready for that at the moment - but the shaver socket is in the way Now.

If it just fell of.... would that need notification?

Sponsored Links
If it was a bathroom, and will be a bathroom, then I'd still class it as a bathroom in the intervening period.

However Part P only covers design and installation, not removal.

Just do a proper job - i.e. don't leave a live cable in the wall with nothing to show where it is.

If you want to install a mirror with new lights, then that is notifiable part p work.

Thanks.

Reading part P - I could not see specifically the see the case of removal.

I will remove it then - fit a waterproof junction box / termination out the way.

My fear was that a sparky would see it, and refuse to touch it since the work was not carried out by-the-book.

Yes, mirror lights are notifiable, should be a nice easy job for the sparky since the wire will be in place.

jason

I'd be happier if you isolated the cable outside the bathroom. If you install a new junction box in the wall it could be argued it comes under part p. Will it be immediately obvious that there is a junction box behind the mirror?

Also lights may need a transformer to feed them and this would need to be located outside the zones of the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
The shaver box is on the lighting circuit. If it connects in the ceiling rose, could I disconnect it there and remove the box entirely.

Sounds like the existing cable would not be fit for purpose for mirror lighting.

Reading part P - I could not see specifically the see the case of removal.
The only specific cases defined are those of work which is not notifiable.

Read Schedule 4 - if it is not in there it is notifiable.

My fear was that a sparky would see it, and refuse to touch it since the work was not carried out by-the-book.
Quite right too.

All work should be done "by the book" because Part P applies to all work

34245971.jpg

All work should be done "by the book" because Part P applies to all work

34245971.jpg

No - Part P applies only to "the design and installation of electrical installations".

The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 apply however and even without them, all work should be done safely.

I think I'll have to work around the stupid shaver socket in the short term. Leave it as is.

I'm going to have to get a sparky in to do the other notifiable work anyway, and they can do all the silly little jobs at the same time.

Thanks for all your advice and definitive answers.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back