Bathroom mirror install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need to buy a new bathroom mirror and see quite a few with lights built in. I have a shaver socket right next to where the mirror is to go. Can the mirror be wired off the shaver socket?
If so I assume I would need a mirror with a switch too?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
How is the shaver socket fed? If off the lighting circuit or via a fused connection unit no problem.

Mirrors with lights have switches as well, usually a small pull switch underneath.

Most mirrors I have seen recently have a IR control on the bottom instead of a 'switch'.

Some slightly older have a full cord with the switch concealed in the mirror.

The ones I have seen with a proper switch have had a rubber thingy over them, sealing them from the room.

Sponsored Links
Most mirrors I have seen recently have a IR control on the bottom instead of a 'switch'. Some slightly older have a full cord with the switch concealed in the mirror. The ones I have seen with a proper switch have had a rubber thingy over them, sealing them from the room.
I doubt that having a switch 'concealed in the mirror' or a having a 'rubber thingy' over it would impress the reg (701.512.3) which forbids anything 'which incorporates a switch' being installed within any of the zones.

Kind Regards, John

Surely he would be taking sensible precautions by making it wear a rubber thingy. ;)

Most mirrors I have seen recently have a IR control on the bottom instead of a 'switch'. Some slightly older have a full cord with the switch concealed in the mirror. The ones I have seen with a proper switch have had a rubber thingy over them, sealing them from the room.
I doubt that having a switch 'concealed in the mirror' or a having a 'rubber thingy' over it would impress the reg (701.512.3) which forbids anything 'which incorporates a switch' being installed within any of the zones.

Kind Regards, John

Really, so what about the traditional pull switch in small bathrooms?
I have an illuminated mirror over the wash basin with a pull cord at the bottom which operates a switch inside. Bought from bathstore.com around 8 years ago. Are you saying this is not allowed?

Re infra red controls. Do you need a remote control to switch on the light?

Only the string may be within the zones.

I have an illuminated mirror over the wash basin with a pull cord at the bottom which operates a switch inside. Bought from bathstore.com around 8 years ago. Are you saying this is not allowed?
Not if within the zones unless SELV.

Re infra red controls. Do you need a remote control to switch on the light?
No, they sense your hands or any other body part you wish to use.

Unless the ceiling is very low, a ceiling-mouted pull-switch will not be within the 'zones'.
In terms of current regulations, indeed I am say that (assuming that the switch is switching 240V). The fact that it was bought from bathroom.com obviously does not, in itself, mean that its use is permitted anywhere in a bathroom. Eight years ago pre-dates the current edition of the regulations, but I don't think things were much different under the '16th edition' - someone here will be able to tell us.

Kind Regards, John

How is the shaver socket fed? If off the lighting circuit or via a fused connection unit no problem.

Mirrors with lights have switches as well, usually a small pull switch underneath.

Thanks all,
I assume easiest way to tell if off lighting is to switch that circuit off?

If it is do I just run a spur off the shaving socket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back