An issue with ARC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a panasonic TV, Home Theatre and PVR. To have the Home Theatre play all sound I have set up the equipment to use ARC - All gear is connected by HDMI cables and at this point ACR works PVR connected direct to TV Home Theatre connected direct to TV.

Next I add to the Home Theatre an auto switching box so that various game consoles can be connected. Again so far so good and all that works as it should so the connection is auto switched to whatever games console is used.

At this point everything works as it should.

Finally I add direct to the Home Theatre my PC. This is when ARC not longer works so sound from the TV and PVR no longer gets to the Home Theatre - I wonder why does anyone know?

The output from the PC is from a HDMI port on the graphics card that also includes the audio and when plugged into the Home Theatre this works fine but it results in the ARC connection to TV being lost and the only way to restore it is to disconnect the PC and set ARC up again. It is not possible to reset the ARC while the PC remains connected.

Sponsored Links
Without knowing the specifics of the home cinema kit and graphics card then no-one can offer any specific advice. Best guess would be that something in the EDID or HDMI handshake is messing up the ARC function. Try switching off HDMI control and then rebooting the entire system.

Hi I have moved on a bit in the last day. I did not remember that I also had an old settop box connected via another auto HDMI switch, so took that out altogether and with the set connected exactly as I first described it is all now working with the ARC connection still intact after screening PC input.

The only reason for PC input is for armchair gaming on the PC with the bigger TV screen and sound system.

So thank you for your input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back