An odd sized radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post, so deep breaths everyone, I'll try not to ask too knobish a question!

Our radiator has sprung a leak. It's from a mid point along the back of the radiator, so I have to replace it. Only problem is it's an odd size and I am unable to locate this size anywhere. Does anyone have an idea of where in Herts, Beds or Bucks I could get one?

The radiator size is a single bog standard one measuring 480mm along the width of the radiator. With the inlet / outlets at the bottom. Although it is more like 490mm from the face of the inlet to the face of the outlet as they stick out slightly at each side and it is 450mm high.

I don't want to start having the pipes moved to accomodate a larger size and as all the taps were recently replaced, I want to take advantage of this and do a straight switch off, undo and replace.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to get some helpful answers.

Jay

Sponsored Links
What's the betting the old rad is a 19" wide Imperial size radiator?
(19" = 482.6mm)

Either a 450mm rad. with extension tails, as seco says, or if there's a bit of 'give' in the pipework, maybe a 500mm?

Many here prefer rigid extension tails to telescopic tails, finding the 'O' ring seals tend to leak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies, much appriciated.

I don't want to push my luck with trying to flex the pipes a bit to put in a 500mm wide radiator. Could you tell me a bit more about the extension tails?

you can get rigid one's or extendable ones.
they screw into rad and then on to the valve just taking up the gap difference.

rigid
Radiator-Valve-Extensions-SMR-RVE50.jpg

extendable.
p1052609_x.jpg
p1054000_x.jpg

imagesCAYUTNEC.jpg

Thanks again.

Ok, so I have the two choices. Flex and use a 500mm or extensions for a 450mm. From of this I have two questions.

1, just out of interest, how flexable are pipes and their joints (as the elbow joints from the skirting board runs are below each in and out connection). If they are flexed a small amount, are they more likely to fail or will they just settle into the new flexed position?

2, if I used the extentions (which I am leaning towards) am I best using two equal extentions (2 x 15mm ish) or just one extention on one side (30mm ish)?

Jay

1, just out of interest, how flexable are pipes and their joints (as the elbow joints from the skirting board runs are below each in and out connection). If they are flexed a small amount, are they more likely to fail or will they just settle into the new flexed position?

not seeing the job can't really say how much yours will flex but personally i don't like pipes that have pressure on them.
if you say they are running along skirting why not alter the two ends ?
2, if I used the extentions (which I am leaning towards) am I best using two equal extentions (2 x 15mm ish) or just one extention on one side (30mm ish)?

Jay

i prefer two evens the rad out then.

OK, 2 equals, sounds best.

As far as redoing the ends, I don't have the experience to do that. If I could be recommended someone in my area (Luton) then that's a different story, but generally I worry about cowboys and coming home to small flooding.

Thanks very much for your advise.

Jay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back