Replacing odd sized rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two radiators in my house have recently sprung leaks on the bottom seams which will obviously necessitate replacing them with decent ones this time....... Stelrad seems to be the recommended choice. The problem is the sizing of the rads I am replacing are oddly sized, one is 450mm high x 2070mm long and the other is 530mm high x 1350mm long. I have searched everywhere for a direct replacement, size for size, but can't find any. I have heard of 'extension pieces' which can be used, can anyone tell me how these work and are they reliable.... at least until I get a chance to move the pipework in the spring.
The nearest size replacements I have found are 450 x 2000 and 450 x 1400 or 1200. Would extension pieces enable me to fit these size rads ok?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kevplumb. Have found an internet site that can supply the 530x1350, but struggling to find anything for the 450x2070. Is this one an imperial also? If it is metric, would it be easier for me to buy a 450 x 2000 and get a couple of extension pieces?
I hope to try and replace the rads at the w/e, do builders merchants generally stock imperial sized rads? Could you suggest any i could try to contact. :)
I know I am sounding a bit wet behind the ears, but i am getting considerable grief from 'er'indoors and am literally holding the baby after work so time and opportunity are in short supply :(

Cheers again.

Sponsored Links
Be less trouble if you purchase your new rads and reroute the pipe work.
If you are having a plumber to install he will easily be able to do this. :D
Hi Kev ;)

That may mean carpet up boards up - ccan be unpleasant job and you get an extra hole in the carpet
or bend the pipe above floor level - looks naff.
Straight extensions don't look too bad, try bes.ltd.ok .

Plumbing Trade Supplies keep "imperial" Mysons.

extension.jpg

I have just completed replacing 14 rads of various odd imp sizes. Following suggestions from this forum I used extensions, available from BES and Plumbcentre and my local plumbing shop. They look like this when fitted. Not as neat as the original but not bad and saved having to dig up a screeded floor. I believe they are available in 20mm and 40mm sizes.

Kev
Like a lot of folk I dont have a fortune to spend on essential repairs. The expert advice in this forum has helped me fix some knotty problems where I simply havent had the dosh to pay a professional. The advice and humour is second to none and is certainly appreciated by me!

Merry Xmas!

Dustyy
If you have had two go already I would be ready for the others to leak too. My house is now 24 years old and in the last 9 months I have replaced every rad.. 13 because of leaks and one just in case....

I forgot to add that the BES extenders are adjustable up to 40mm which makes life a little easier with odd sizes.

BES part 7511 40MM RADIATOR EXTENSION PIECE £2.33 incl VAT.

I've stopped using the telescopic extenders as shown in the picture. Most of them are OK, but a fair percentage leak after say a few months, even on a gravity system.
There's a different sort of extender for 1/2" rad valve unions, which has a long spigot coming from the rad part. There's also a decent quality 1/2" extendable one which screwfix sell.

:cry:
ChrisR - I have used both BES and Screwfix extenders. Now I will be watching carefully in case they start leaking. At the moment I have a problem with a Screwfix extender which persists in dripping at the rad end. I have now refitted it three times with no success. I use 3 turns of PTFE tape ..... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back