BTUs and Radiators...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm doing out a through lounge dining room, and SWMBO has decreed we are having new rads! She fancies chrome. Thing is, the online calculators suggest I need 5000 btu for just the lounge end (4m x 4m). Currently, I have 23 year old stelrad 1200 x 450 single skin rads in each room, and we've never had a problem. I can't believe they were 5000 btu each!

Most of any rads I can find at that size online, are 2000 to 3000 btu.

Any wise ideas? Thanks.

CG

Sponsored Links
Must of got that wrong mate. Just replace it like for like size if you’ve had no issues with the room not being a comfortable temperature.
There is more to take into consideration when calculating rad sizes than just height and length of a room. Windows such as double glazed for example.

Sponsored Links
I read a thread not long ago regarding heated bathroom towel rails. IIRC the consensus was that there's a big difference in the heat output of chrome versions to white ones.
The surface temperature of the chrome ones certainly gets much hotter.

Hi all,

I'm doing out a through lounge dining room, and SWMBO has decreed we are having new rads! She fancies chrome. Thing is, the online calculators suggest I need 5000 btu for just the lounge end (4m x 4m). Currently, I have 23 year old stelrad 1200 x 450 single skin rads in each room, and we've never had a problem. I can't believe they were 5000 btu each!

Most of any rads I can find at that size online, are 2000 to 3000 btu.

Any wise ideas? Thanks.

CG
Sounds like the online calculator gives a generous figure, as others have said. With typical water temperatures water 80° and room 20°C, heat output is about 0.8kW/m^2, which I make 0.86kW or just under 3000BTU/h, much like your figure.

With typical water temperatures water 80°
A water temperature of 80°C was typical for cast iron boilers and in pre-condensing days. Modern systems should be designed for temperatures in the 60's so advantage is taken of condensing.

Stelrad quote the btu output at 3095 for their 450 high x 1200 long single panel radiator.

Currently, I have 23 year old stelrad 1200 x 450 single skin rads in each room, and we've never had a problem. I can't believe they were 5000 btu each!
If you mean a rad without any fins on the back, then the output is about 1950 Btu (570W in current terminology); with fins it's 920 W.

You can't trust most online calculators - they have a vested interest in selling large rads! Try http://www.myson.co.uk/hlm/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back