An unusual bathroom drain situation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've had some surprises already in my bathroom, and I just found another. It's in a ground-floor extension at the back of the house and it appears that an existing outside garden drain has been crudely re-purposed to take the shower waste. Here you can see the footprint of the old shower tray which I just removed:

5fMASjb.jpg

There's the waste pipe disappearing under a loose square of metal, under which we find:

3Z7RWbS.jpg

CfAQGAR.jpg

So:

1) Can I still use this drain to drop shower/bath waste into, is there any reason I shouldn't?
2) How can I seal it a bit better (it smells and is very humid under the shower tray)? Is it a DIY job or will I need to get someone in to build over it properly?

The finish is unimportant as a bath will cover this whole area.

Thanks for any initial suggestions, hopefully I can deal with this quickly!

Sponsored Links
It needs digging out and a proper connection making to the pipe the other side of that gully.
It should be airtight and watertight. If you want rats under your bath leave it as it is!.
Jeff

I would check that it connects to the Dirty Water Main,

It maybe just a soakaway.

Possible be a existing gully trap serving a kitchen or bathroom before the extension was built.

I would take it out and run new drain connected to existing clay drain up to floor level of bathroom, you can make connection to waste pipe with gasket. Make sure it is draining into sewer, have a look in manhole nearby.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
As said, that needs to come out! I would perfrom a dye test though before proceeding further to ensure it connects to the foul sewer, and not the rainwater drains or a soakaway....

Dig around it (carefully!) to expose the clay gulley and the pipework leading away from it. You will need to cut the outlet pipe at a suitable point, using an angle grinder. Cut the pipe square and remove the old pot. Chamfer cut edge of clay pipe, fit a suitable collar and run in plastic to required position, fit bend and adapter to accept waste pipe from bath. You wont need a trap in the drain, bath trap will suffice.

Thanks for the replies, I think I understand the procedure. You can appreciate that I'm tempted to ignore it seeing as it's been in place for 30ish years already. Apart from "rats in my bathroom", what are the likely consequences of long(er) term use of it as is?

If that gulley ever blocks how easily could you unblock it with the shower tray in place.

If that gulley ever blocks how easily could you unblock it with the shower tray in place.

I couldn't, but would it actually be any easier with another drain arrangement? I can't tell.

Leaving it 'as is' isn't going to cause the house to fall down, it's purely appalling practice in the first place, a risk of debris collecting and eventually blocking the hopper, and should the drainage system block, then there is the possibility of effluent backing up, and even if it didnt overflow, it would then decompose and start to stink, with a slight risk of noxious gases being released.

Depending on the layout of the drains, it maybe possible to clean out the drain up to the gulley from elsewhere, however the hopper may still need accessing from above to clean. Removing the hopper removes that problem. Whilst you have the room apart then it is advised to make good a previous 'bodgejob' and not leave a legacy either to come bite and bite you on the ar$e or for a future occupant....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back