And you wonder why I'm having problems with English?

kendor said:
"of the three lights, two are switched off"

So off is 'movement'? Step off the bus? The meat has gone off (movement in the largest meaning of the word).
Versus: Mr Huppeldepup of London

Sponsored Links
"Of" is usually possessive

The house of Commons
The top of the stairs

Of course, I see no rule in the use of this one.

"Off" is it movement? "He kicked off his shoes" "He fell off the ladder"

You're all very kind (and patient) today
medium-smiley-047

And I'm going to tell you about leg-pulling anyway. Only your friends do it.

If you were to be hanged in the town square for stealing a loaf of bread, (before the introduction of the Long Drop) then you might be dangling on the rope for half an hour or more while you slowly suffocated or were strangled by the rope, as your neck might not have been broken and the spinal cord severed.

Your friends would be allowed to approach the scaffold, and grab you by the legs, pulling down so that your neck was broken and you died quickly and with less suffering.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD

Knew about the practise, but didn't connect leg-pulling with it.

JohnD said:
And I'm going to tell you about leg-pulling anyway. Only your friends do it.

If you were to be hanged in the town square for stealing a loaf of bread, (before the introduction of the Long Drop) then you might be dangling on the rope for half an hour or more while you slowly suffocated or were strangled by the rope, as your neck might not have been broken and the spinal cord severed.

Your friends would be allowed to approach the scaffold, and grab you by the legs, pulling down so that your neck was broken and you died quickly and with less suffering.
with friends like that who needs enemies couldn't they cut you down and run off with you instead? :) or are you just pulling all our legs? :LOL:

In the days of sail (18th/19th century), when a ship was in a port during wartime (quite a frequent situation in those days), sailors were often not allowed shore leave, for fear of desertion, other losses etc.

So they were allowed to bring their wives on board in order to discuss family finances and little Tommy's progress at school.

(As an aside, sometimes the women who came aboard were not actually someone's wife, or at least not the wife of the sailor, but were claimed to be such in order to spare official embarrassment, and this is where the saying about sailors having a wife in every port comes from).

But I digress.

When it was getting near the time for the ship to depart, the "wives" were all supposed to leave, so the petty officers would shout "show a leg" or "shake a leg", the idea being that "wives" legs looked different those of the men, and by inspecting the limbs emerging from the bunks and hammocks, they could tell how many women were on board and ensure that all of them left the ship before it sailed.

Sponsored Links
Back