Andy Murray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every other GB contestant I've seen at the Olympics has "Team GB" and their name on the back of their team shirt.
What is it with Murray that he hasn't? Is he really that anti-English/anti-UK?

Sponsored Links
"GB" does not mean "English" and it does not mean "UK"

What team are the Ulstermen in?

Fair enough John

Oxford reference book defines Great Britain as “England, Scotland and Wales considered as a unit; the name is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom. Wales was politically incorporated with England in the 16th century and the Act of Union formally united Scotland with England in 1707. In 1801 Great Britain was united with Ireland (from 1921 only Northern Ireland) as the United Kingdom.”

So the exact answer to your question must be that the Ulstermen will be in the United Kingdom. However the common every-day use of the phrase G.B. says that they also may be considered part of Great Britain. I guess the fact that our sportspeople are fielded as “Team GB” that is what they meant and intended but you may well know better?

My comment of him being anti-English goes back to the days of the English rugby team facing a heavy match and Murray, in interview, saying he was supporting whatever team England were playing against.

Fair enough John

Oxford reference book defines Great Britain as “England, Scotland and Wales considered as a unit; the name is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom. Wales was politically incorporated with England in the 16th century and the Act of Union formally united Scotland with England in 1707. In 1801 Great Britain was united with Ireland (from 1921 only Northern Ireland) as the United Kingdom.”

So the exact answer to your question must be that the Ulstermen will be in the United Kingdom. However the common every-day use of the phrase G.B. says that they also may be considered part of Great Britain. I guess the fact that our sportspeople are fielded as “Team GB” that is what they meant and intended but you may well know better?

My comment of him being anti-English goes back to the days of the English rugby team facing a heavy match and Murray, in interview, saying he was supporting whatever team England were playing against.

Wasnt that comment made against the England football team?

Sponsored Links
it's not unusual for Scots to be anti-English. There is a lot of racism and intolerance about.

I was pleased to see today that an Englishman who suffered ethnic abuse in Ireland won compensation.

it's not unusual for Scots to be anti-English. There is a lot of racism and intolerance about.

I was pleased to see today that an Englishman who suffered ethnic abuse in Ireland won compensation.

Hear hear John! :D

oh and Murray got dumped on his @rse in his first match too....rated 6th in the world? but why?

Minute he was dumped out the press would have been saying Scottish tennis star fails yet if he had progressed it would have been Britains number 6 storms through to next round.
Henman on the other hand would have been reffered to as English on winning and british on defeat, that is what gets other up other nationals noses in the UK.

The person in question won ,20,000 euros. The southern Irish are very insular, they dislike the Northern irish as well which is why Ulster people prefer to go to Scotland or England to holiday or work.

Minute he was dumped out the press would have been saying Scottish tennis star fails yet if he had progressed it would have been Britains number 6 storms through to next round.
Henman on the other hand would have been reffered to as English on winning and british on defeat, that is what gets other up other nationals noses in the UK.

Not sure it's as simple as that Namsag.

Look at the multitude of other Scottish sportsmen from all walks who enjoy positive press from the English papers. People like Sandy Lyle, Sir Jackie Stewart, Gavin Hastings, Kenny Dalglish are all treated with respect.

Why the difference do you think?

From old bbc commentary And winning the gold medal for England David Wilkie. That would be the part of england just north of the border.

Sponsored Links
Back