Angle for going round a bend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ok hope you can help me here with a problem.
How do i work out the angle needed to make 180 degree bend using
1" x 1" wood, hope this makes sense say i need 10 bits of wood do i divide 180 x 10 and get 18 degrees ?
I,m making an oterman (yeh i know it,s probably not spelt right :LOL: )
and for the front i want to make it a half circle of wood and like the idea of using the 1"x 1" curved around and my misses can cover the top (damn things for her anyway lol) also do i need to angle both sides or just one as going back to the 10 bits of wood 18 x 10 works if only one side is angled :confused: ermmmm right ???????????
I know 10 bits will never make 180 just easy to use to explain and i know ply would be easier but prefer the idea of angled wood.

Hope this makes sense and someone can help me

Thanks for any advice

Martin

Sponsored Links
ok youve completly lost me :D :D :D

do you realise 180% is a half circle!!!!

if your trying to make a 10 sided half circle[20 sided circle] then its no probs all you have to do is mark a circle on a board then using a compas and pye divide the circumfirence by 20
measure accuratly the the found distance around the curve[not a strait line]then set your compass to this distance put the point in the pencil mark all the way round 20 times if it dosnt line up at the end [more than 1 or 2mm out ]redoo the exercise making more accurate measurements

you need to cut both sides of a mitre otherwise one will be longer than the other ;)

ooohhh yeh forgot to say draw in the"spokes" then you have your cut angles

Ok sorry big all

I,m making a rectangle shape box for the bottom of the bed ie long and narrow.
I want to make the front side curved does not have to be an exact circle just a nice curve or oval but was looking at taking it 180.
Don't intend using just 10 bits of wood was trying to keep it easy but i,ve made it confusing sorry :(
So i,m looking at how i get the right angle for this, if i can get this i like the idea of using 1" x 1" but cutting them at an angle as they join to form the curve

Hope this makes it a little clearer sorry again i,m just learning but enjoying as well

Martin

are the only curves on the front from side to side !!!!!

if so might be easier to make a frame and cover with bendy ply

Sponsored Links
Yes the curve is only on the front side

Have though about bendy ply but like the idea of waxing it so i have a nice finish so ply is out, so looking at making it with softwood i realise this will make it a bit of a pain

:D

Martin

how had you planed to angle along the length!!!

if its tablesaw and you can get flat 7by 1" par i would aim at 2" actual wide strips cos when you cut half the required angle you have both sides of the join by flipping the offcut

you will of course have to constantly alter the angle as the curve increases or decreases
you must also remember to flip before doing the next cut ;)

Cheers big all

yes will be using a tablesaw good idea about using the 2" as well

thanks for your help
:D
Martin

Nothing wrong with plywood. You can buy faced ply such as oak, ash, cherry walnut etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back