another alcove shelf question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be using 2x2 for the side and rear supports (free material) and wondered what the best practice is for fixing into the walls. Should the screw head sit halfway into the 2x2 or just flush?

appoligies for such a simple question but i want it to be correct. :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
2x2 is far to thick and will look stupid
you have to live with the shelves for years :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

go for 21x44 about 70p a metres will look the bees nees
the fact you will save money using 8x2" screws over 10x2.5"if you use 44x44mm

2x2 is far to thick and will look stupid
you have to live with the shelves for years :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

go for 21x44 about 70p a metres will look the bees nees
the fact you will save money using 8x2" screws over 10x2.5"if you use 44x44mm

The reason i thought 2x2 was ok is because the length of the self is 150cm so the 2x2 would offer a little more support?

If your timber is screwed to the wall it will be the wall that is doing the supporting rather than the timber. The timber is in effect just a ledge for the shelf.
Also you add little strenght by increasing the width of the timber, to do this the depth would have to be increased. In other words a 2x1 (or 21mm x 44mm) with the 2" being the depth would support pretty much as well as a 2x2.
If these shelves are in the house then I agree with biggy, if they are in a garage or shed then use the 2x2 as the appearance won't be a problem.
As to your original question you need to get a decent fixing into the wall. If you were using 4" screws then just below the surface would be ok but if you were using say 3" screws then you would need to sink the heads in an inch or so.

Sponsored Links
If your timber is screwed to the wall it will be the wall that is doing the supporting rather than the timber. The timber is in effect just a ledge for the shelf.
Also you add little strenght by increasing the width of the timber, to do this the depth would have to be increased. In other words a 2x1 (or 21mm x 44mm) with the 2" being the depth would support pretty much as well as a 2x2.
If these shelves are in the house then I agree with biggy, if they are in a garage or shed then use the 2x2 as the appearance won't be a problem.
As to your original question you need to get a decent fixing into the wall. If you were using 4" screws then just below the surface would be ok but if you were using say 3" screws then you would need to sink the heads in an inch or so.

perfect, thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back