Another asbestos newbie...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

So ive done loads of research after discovering I could have asbestos tiles under our carpet throughout downstairs. We are awaiting test results. At this point I'm not naive about it nor fearful of it.

Ive decided if its confirmed as asbestos that Ill encapsulate it and be done with it but in the meantime I am unsure of a couple of things:

- its under carpet and Im a bit concerned about ripping it up and causing the release of the dust, what do people suggest?
- i need to remove skirting boards that sit on top of it, is this likely to disturb it?

Sponsored Links
Jc94, good evening.

Note this is your first post, welcome to this site.

If you consider it, the tiles with the possibility of containing Asbestos are already "encapsulated" by the carpet.

If the tiles do contain Asbestos, you will need to know what type of Asbestos is in the tiles? chances are it will be white Asbestos, same as contained in Artex? The awaited results will confirm which type of Asbestos [If any] is present.

As for removal of the carpets? are they stuck down or are they loose lay with carpet grippers around the perimeter?

Can I suggest that you re-post once the results are in and let the board take it from there?

Ken

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome, this is a helpful resource for our cyrrent renovation.

I can confirm that the tests came back negative for all samples (woo!).

Thank god as well since they had nailed grips into it which meant it was falling apart all around.

Its a good point about the carpet encapsulating it however it was just as I was going to take the carpet up. All fine now though

Thanks
JC

Sponsored Links
Don't suppose you could post a picture of your suspect tile?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back